Novice needing basic help already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice needing basic help already!

I never have had a website of my own and have just started reading the tutorials of BlueVoda. I began making a rough draft, so-to-speak, of a personal website I'd like. However, I'm the kind of person that needs 1-on-1 help (step by step instructions) for everything, and am already confused on a few things. I've watched the basic tutorials, which have really inspired me that I can make my own site! Some of my questions are technical, and some are general theory based. Please could someone answer my questions? Please answer as thoroughly if possible, to head off any additional questions I would have. Thanks for your help and patience!

#1 I wanted to make a vertical navigation bar and learned that the rollover graphic can change. After watching the tutorial I thought this implementation would be simple. I chose a green oval for the normal-state menu-option, and then a green rectangle for the rollover-state. I also then hyperlinked this menu-option to any-ol'-site just to test it. I then wanted to preview this change, but when I put the cursor over the menu-option, nothing changed. Why? What am I missing?

#2 What exactly does it mean to "publish" my site? This means I begin paying ($) for an address? (www...)? Can I ever un-publish, in case I want to take down the site? Can I modify my site after it's published, and how easily is this done?

#3 How do meta tags work? I think my site should come up in a google search when someone searches for "x" "y" or "z" -- does this mean the _order_ in which I give meta tags is important? Is "metallica fan" the same meta tag as "fan metallica" ?

#4 I chose a blue template background, then made simple pink text "My Life" on top of this background. The letters were not highlighted. I then previewed my site and unlike what I thought it should be, the pink letters seemed to be highlighted in white, which is not what I want. As in my question #1, what am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to hit an "enter" button or something to make these changes appear on my preview?

#5 I haven't decided whether or not I want to blog on my site -- is blogging possible, or is my option only to make a new subpage (or update an old subpage) everytime I have something to say?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once these are answered, but hopefully I'll eventually figure it out!

Re: Novice needing basic help already!

Originally posted by BlueAngel
    I never have had a website of my own and have just started reading the tutorials of BlueVoda. I began making a rough draft, so-to-speak, of a personal website I'd like. However, I'm the kind of person that needs 1-on-1 help (step by step instructions) for everything, and am already confused on a few things. I've watched the basic tutorials, which have really inspired me that I can make my own site! Some of my questions are technical, and some are general theory based. Please could someone answer my questions? Please answer as thoroughly if possible, to head off any additional questions I would have. Thanks for your help and patience!

#1 I wanted to make a vertical navigation bar and learned that the rollover graphic can change. After watching the tutorial I thought this implementation would be simple. I chose a green oval for the normal-state menu-option, and then a green rectangle for the rollover-state. I also then hyperlinked this menu-option to any-ol'-site just to test it. I then wanted to preview this change, but when I put the cursor over the menu-option, nothing changed. Why? What am I missing?

I'm not sure why this won't work. I just tried with both the navbar tool and using just an ordinary mouseover image and both worked in preview mode. I'd suggest that you just have a play around. The link will not work until your actual page is published but you should be able to see the mouseover effect.

#2 What exactly does it mean to "publish" my site? This means I begin paying ($) for an address? (www...)? Can I ever un-publish, in case I want to take down the site? Can I modify my site after it's published, and how easily is this done?

In order to get your pages onto the web you need to have a domain name that you can publish your pages to. You must also register for a VodaHost hosting package, in order to publish your pages - you are entitled to one free domain name when you register.

#3 How do meta tags work? I think my site should come up in a google search when someone searches for "x" "y" or "z" -- does this mean the _order_ in which I give meta tags is important? Is "metallica fan" the same meta tag as "fan metallica" ?

For a decent understanding of metatags I suggest that you check out our search engine forum. It is crammed with information on this subject. No - 'metallica fan' is not the same as 'fan metallica'. You should use phrases and words that people will use to search out a subject matter.

#4 I chose a blue template background, then made simple pink text "My Life" on top of this background. The letters were not highlighted. I then previewed my site and unlike what I thought it should be, the pink letters seemed to be highlighted in white, which is not what I want. As in my question #1, what am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to hit an "enter" button or something to make these changes appear on my preview?

After each change you should open a new preview page. Closing down the open ones when you have checked your changes.

#5 I haven't decided whether or not I want to blog on my site -- is blogging possible, or is my option only to make a new subpage (or update an old subpage) everytime I have something to say?

See our forum called CMS for more information on your choices re: blogs.

I'm sure I'll have more questions once these are answered, but hopefully I'll eventually figure it out!
    Lastly, the best way to learn about the capabilities of BV is to play around with it and to try different things. If something doesn't turn out as you thought it would - have another go. Enjoy your design experience and happy site building!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

We must have been typing this at the same time Amanda! Great minds eh?
      Trish
      www.Limebrook.com
      www.MountainWalk.co.uk
      www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
      www.TucsonForBeginners.com
      www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

This is what I suggest if trying to design your own banner. I know it's in BV but sometimes simple is easier. If you have Publisher, you can create a banner right in there, adding the elements; graphics or text and saving it as a gif. Then you can insert it into your blank page and place between the 800 guide marks. This is what I have done, and using shape for the color of my page and adding backgrounds behind, color coordinating.
        http://www.rogerwrapit.com

Comment

Working...
        X