delete files in public_html

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delete files in public_html

Whoa sounds pretty amature huh? Gimmie a break I'm a Golmer Pyle. I wanted to know how to delete files in my public_html folder or can I just over write them. I published an original index then I updated it buy publishing again with the revisions but when I went to check the page it was the same as before, without the revisions(yes I F5 ed the page). The only way I colud update page was to delete public_html and then create a new public_html and then re-publish the page.
    How can I do this in an easy way, because in the future there will be more pages and I can't keep deleting.

Re: delete files in public_html

Hi
    When you publish a page with the same name your old version is overwritten.
    Sometimes F5 is not good enough. The only way to ensure that you get a brand new page is CTRL + F5.
    (Somewhere in these threads you will read that you should press f5 continously and rapidly. That is not necessary)
    So you don't need to delete the pages.

Regards
    Royden

www.harrow-art.com
    www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Hey!

But like Andy said in an other thread, if you keep publishing new pages with new pictures your pictures will stay in your public_html folder and it will fill your space to the limit if you don't clean it. So just log on your FTP Manager that came with BlueVoda and delete the neccessary files.

* Warning: Make sure you do not delete the public_html folder or any files you are not aware of.
      Best regards,
      Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Re: delete files in FTP manager (public_html)

I am trying to figure out how to delete the files in my FTP folder....I have made a lot of updates to all of my published pages...reading this thread I understand that the FTP manager keeps the old ones in storage. I would like to clean that out but I need help finding them and knowing how to delete them.

Comment

I'll start from the beginning:
          Open the BV software
          Click on Tools/FTP Manager
          Your FTP interface will open
          Click on "Connect" in the upper toolbar
          A password box may/will appear
          enter your IP username and password
          Files on the left are your local files
          Files on right are in the server
          Single Click on any file you want to delete (server side)
          If you have several files to delete hold down your "Ctrl" key until you have finished selecting files
          Click on the red X delete icon on the upper right side of the toolbar
          That will delete those files.
          CarbonTerry
          Semper Fi
          Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
          Zone 5 Photo
          My USMC

Comment

Depending on your browser hitting the F5 key multiple times or clicking "refresh" will not bring the new page up immediately. I find that viewing in "FireFox" browser is the fastest browser to call up the changes. Usually one or two "refreshes" will bring up the new page.
            AOL is very slow seeing the new page.
            "Internet Explorer" can also take a while.
            Be patient. You'll get the hang of it.
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

The server stores all of the images that you publish but will overwrite any page (i.e. index) that is re-published.
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

Okay, I finally went to the FTP control panel, connected, and I have no idea which files to delete in the server. There are many .gif files with numbers in front of them. What would happen if I deleted all of them, are they the images that are preserved after an update is published? I am so lost....help.

Comment

Your FTP or BV will overwritte the old files, when you publish (or upload, if you are not using BV) the new ones. Unfortunately, this is only true about the html files themselves, but not for gifs and jpgs. So, if you have published a page, containing an image, then you update it, changing the image to something else, or deleting it, the old image will remain on the server. However, this doesn't create any problem, just taking some space from your hard disk space. With the amount of disk space that VH gives you, this is never a problem.
                  Navaldesign
                  Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you so much. I guess my page has been uploading slower lately on different computers so I though my space was filling up or something. Maybe it has slowed down for some other reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X