• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TLS
    Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

Having minor problems republishing my index page

Hello,

I had made a mistake origionally when I was in the process of publishing my hydrocephalus site in that I had accidently overrided my index page to where I didn't have my origional index page for my inspirational site to work with in terms of editing.

I finally figured out how to import that page that was temporary lost so I could still do editing on my origional inspirational site which is www.terrilynnspencer.com I do have some minor problems with republishing some things though.

For example, I tried to republish my counter since this was erased when I accidently did the override; however, when I tried to publish it, it won't come up on the Internet. I published it under public_html.

Also, I had to redo my Go menu. When I put the links on that and published it, none of the links work and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Once I have my Go links for my Inspirational site fixed, i'm just going to deleate my other menu buttons on my home or index page for the www.terrilynnspencer.com site.

Terri
  • TLS
    Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

Re: Having minor problems republishing my index page

Just a side note, I did notice that as far as my Go menu is concerned, my links for Stories 1 through 4 didn't work but my Stories 5 link did work. At first, I noticed that I didn't captilize the word "Stories" in the links for stories 1-4 and I did for "Stories 5" so I corrected that error; however my links for Stories 1-4 on my Go menu still doesn't work. I don't know else could be an error.

Terri

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Linking to pages in Go Menu's are the same as everywhere throughout BV.....
      URL entries: no caps, no blank spaces (use underscore "_"), no commas, etc.
      Be sure your pages are titled/published same so they can be "found".
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• TLS
        Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

Hello Vasilli,

Thanks so much for the tip about saving and publishing pages in all lower case letters. When I corrected that and just redid everything in lower case, it finally worked! Thanks so much for the tip! I'll certainly keep that in mind when saving and publishing other pages!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Naveldesign, Amanda and everyone else for their help! Sorry for all the questions! I'm dyslexic so I'm a bit of a slow learner! Once I do learn something though, I never forget it though!

Also a factor I've been having to contend with is contant unrelenting head pain that might indicate shunt failure in terms of my hydrocephalus. Being in constant pain at least for me takes it longer to learn new things as well.

Thanks so much for EVERYONE who helped and gave feedback! I'll try to keep everything in my memory!

Now I can go on to add pages to both the Inspirational Site and the Hydrocephalus site!

Terri

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Terri

Maybe you can do what I did (only I started WAY too late)......

Take the time to find all the tips you used and which worked, and simply COPY + PASTE them onto a Word page, which you could name

"BV TIPS," for instance.....then, you can even highlight everything in Word, make the font bigger and bold, which would make it easier to read.

This can be done with all the "tips" you find when scouring the Forum threads too...you can simply highlight and copy them also right into

Word.

This way, you can really build a web plan 'Helps" book of your own, kind of a checklist also, to address your detailed plans...element by element

Whenever you need to follow a section, you can print out just that section/page, and have it right in front of you!!!

Comment

• TLS
            Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

Vasili

Doing a Copy and Paste to Word document of BV Tips is a WONDERFUL IDEA! Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'll go ahead and do that now!

By the way, when I first created my hydrocephalus pages, I didn't include sound because I wasn't sure what midi songs I would want to use.
            I know when you first create a blank page you go to "page properties" and where it says "backgrounds, it has a place to download midis to the page; however, now that I have the pages completed, is it possible to still add sound to those pages or is it too late?

When I pull up the pages it just says "properties" instead of "page properties" and on the "properties" area, there is no place to add sound. That is why I was wondering if it was too late to add sound to the pages I've already created on the hydrocephalus pages. If not, how would I go about doing that?

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and put all the tips I've learned so far on a Word Document and save that. Thanks for that tip! I know that will come in handy!

Terri

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by TLS
              Vasili
              Doing a Copy and Paste to Word document of BV Tips is a WONDERFUL IDEA! Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'll go ahead and do that now!
              You have NO IDEA how this simple little thing has kept me from pulling the rest of my hair out! I even paste solutions, scripts, etc. on things that are still down the road, so I will have them when I need them rather than forgetting where I saw them pop up. ...And, it is a wonderful means of compiling the backbone for a larger "contribution" to post when I have the time....anything to make it easier for the next guy before I too, retire.......
              By the way, when I first created my hydrocephalus pages, I didn't include sound because I wasn't sure what midi songs I would want to use.
              I know when you first create a blank page you go to "page properties" and where it says "backgrounds, it has a place to download midis to the page; however, now that I have the pages completed, is it possible to still add sound to those pages or is it too late?
              It's never too late for anything in VodaLand.....WAY too much Magic in here! **DO a 'Search' in the ADDING ELEMENTS Forum on "add music" to see the threads that come up with the solutions to choose from...(and whenever possible, take note of the person asking, then visit their site to see how it came out - more ideas that way) Simply add it, save it, and re-publish....(sometimes I wish I could do that to the whole day....) LOLOL PS**Another Tip: before changing an important page, try opening it in BV and immediately saving it under a different name, like "index1"...that way, if anything goes wrong, you can simply recall the page and change the name back - you can't accidentally overwrite it or "lose" it this way....>>work on the "index" page, not the "index1" archive page!
              When I pull up the pages it just says "properties" instead of "page properties" and on the "properties" area, there is no place to add sound. That is why I was wondering if it was too late to add sound to the pages I've already created on the hydrocephalus pages. If not, how would I go about doing that?
              Try clicking further "off the page" and you will get 'Page Properties' to present.....when it doesn't, that is a clue that you clicked on an 'object' or image or some other element.......
              In the meantime, I'll go ahead and put all the tips I've learned so far on a Word Document and save that. Thanks for that tip! I know that will come in handy!

Terri
              See? I'm really not such a big Meanie after all, huh??

I am so very glad, Terri, that you got past some of the early frustrations without too much strain...(God knows)....I look forward to seeing your vision come to glorious fruition!

Comment

• TLS
                Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

Hello Vasili!

Well I did as you suggested with the sound element by clicking off the page to get to the page properties to where I could add sound to my hydrocephalus pages! That did the trick! Now I have sound on ALL of my web pages in both sites! What a relief! Personally I think if there isn't sound, there is something important missing, but that is just my own personal opinion!

As for you being a Meanie...? No I NEVER thought that! That goes true for all of the BV staff! You are all WONDERFULLY HELPFUL!

I'm probably one of the members who needs more help than others for 2 reasons. Part of that is due to being dyslexic so it takes much longer to learn new concepts than the average person but once I learn something, I NEVER forget it!

The second reason it took longer than normal to learn this is because I've been in CONSTANT pain for over 2 months with constant headache pain and the pain has worsened this week... espically since Thursday. I just got back from the ER in fact, but other than the normal CT scan, they don't do further diagnostic testing to check for shunt trouble or failure for adults who have hydrocephalus. That is why I'm going all the way to Maryland to an expert in adult hydrocephalus August 28th. I met this neurologist at the Hydrocephalus Conference in May of 2006. I KNOW he will do other tests other than just a CT scan so I know I'll be in good hands out there.

I'm thinking of moving to Rochaster Minnesota and out of Duluth, Minnesota so I'll be next to the Mayo Clinic if there are shunt problems. I think here in Duluth, Minnesota they don't treat adults with this ******* and that is dangerous for both me and my fiance if we get into a medical emergancy with the hydrocephalus (we both have it).

Anyway, thank you so much for all of your imput and advice! That holds true for Naveldesign, Amanda and others who helped! I think I understand everything now... at least the basics anyway! I'm still continuing to add to the origional Inspirational site today... www.terrilynnspencer.com I'll send an update in the feedback section of the forum here after I'm finished adding more pages to it!

Terri

Comment

Working...
                X