Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to add a journal or blog to a web site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to add a journal or blog to a web site?

Hello Everyone,

I've been thinking about adding a journal or blog to my hydrocephalus web site. I'm not sure how to go about it at all though. What steps would I have to follow to get this done? Do I need to download any certain program to add to a blank page?

The web site I'm referring to is: www.terrilynnspencer/hydrocephalus I'm thinking of adding my journal of the difficulties I've had to this date with hydrocephalus. I already have it written in my computer so all I'm thinking I might have to do would be a copy and paste? I wasn't sure.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Terri

Re: Is there a way to add a journal or blog to a web site?

Did you check WordPress?
    http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/wor...mate-blog.html

BTW, your page did not load.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

I personally (and professionally) do NOT recommend you install a "journal" or "blog" function to your site....for a number of reasons:

1. Blogs (and "journals") attract spam, viruses, graffitti, and unacceptable posts without restraint. You will spend far too much time mainatining (policing, cleaning up) these unwanted postings than any benefit perceived.

2. You are having enough personal discomfort to undertake such a rigorous and unfruitful task, as it will wreck havoc with your ability to read, edit, and perform these demanding duties with any accuracy for any prolonged duration.

3. It is a departure from your simplified plan for your website (which is coming along nicely, thank you), and would be "over-stepping" the intent, in my opinion.

4. The use of blogs as a means of reaching beyond the value of content relevancy to attract Search Engine participation should not apply in this case, as the unique nature of the textual content alone will result in hard-rank other non-similar sites could never accomplish.

>> I would think your intent would be better served if you simply copy & paste your actual personal Journal onto dedicated pages to present as a "section" of it's own, and extend the invitation for others to submit theirs as well, which would then be published similarly....you can use this "format" to avoid the spam, of course, but also to establish control over your site with the explanation of pre-acceptance of material prior to "publishing" to prevent unatuhorized content. Your submittors could simply email you copies of their own journals in Word, which you can copy/paste onto their own pages, linked back to a page created to serve as a directory and invitation (the included journals would show as links, and be linked to their pages).

But, that's my opinion, from what I know about websites and what you are personally going through.............maybe some time down the road, depending on how big your project gets, you may wish to install a Forum (which is completely different), but that should be quite a ways away....for now, you should focus on making your site "info-rich" and more of a resource than making it too personalized...

PS: The link you provided above still is not working.
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Sorry about the link not working. I now realize I left something out! The link is supposed to be: www.terrilynnspencer.com/hydrocephalus

I do have journal entries saved on a Word document. I'll just create a page and do a copy and paste of those entries onto the hydrocephalus site. Thanks for the feedback regarding journals/blogs.

Terri

Comment

Terri, Though I do not know all the technical aspects of a blog, i have heard others who have them say that they do have problems sometimes with "intruders". But overall, many of them say they like their blog.

I think a "personal diary" or "blog" of some sort on your pages would be fantastic! Not only would it be very theraputic for you, but it would help many other people feeling the same things and give them someone to identify with when they feel they are all alone with these problems and feelings. I think the subject and intent of your site is PERFECT for this format --and even cries out for one!

Since I do not have one, i cannot advise on much more than the "idea"..but why don't you surf other sites that have these and drop them an email asking how they like it, how time consuming it is, and how to keep out "intruders" etc.? And artist friend of mine has one on her site monica lee (i don't know the link but you can google).

If you are not wanting "two way" communication, then maybe Vasili's idea of a "static" page is a great way to go! YOu could design your page to look like a diary, and then just cut and paste your "daily" entries, letting the veiwer "turn the pages" as they grow.
          I think you are on to a great idea for enrichment of your site! I think you should go for it. Saying that, why not try a blog and if you don't like it, you can always remove it!!

Sorry for such a long reply....you touched me this morning and a want to encourage you! Have a wonderful day!
          still working on website!

Comment

Apparently, opinions vary, unlike the symtoms you suffer daily, such as the headaches, vision problems, and inability to sustain (or endure might be better) lengthly sessions at the computer.......
            Only you know what you is best.
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
            X