Monitor size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor size

How come some websites fill the whole screen perfectly aligned everytime, whether you view them on a 15 inch, 17 inch or 19 inch monitor? (like banks and insurance companies) Maybe there is there some secret to maintaining your page size on all screen sizes, that I don't know about..
    ..you see I built my pages on a 15 inch screen, and I like the way they looked. Now that I have switched to a 17 inch screen my pages look way too big, and don't seem to fit right anymore. Simply way too big.....

What is the deal with screen sizes and designing pages - what do you need to know in order to have a consistent page size viewing? WHAT IS THE SECRET?

And does it have anything to do with 'center in browser' for whatever that function is....

and, lastly, is there a standard page size that is particularly suited to one page viewing (using no scroll bars right or left). I am thinking that I have to build all of my pages again!!!

Thanks for any kind of relief,
    Bright eyes.

Re: Monitor size

While there is no standard size, you will find that most new monitors have a sreen resolution of 1024, however there a lot (most likely the majority) still using 800 X 600.

When you right clcik on your page there is a checkbox at the bottom "center in browser" this will center your site on any of the screens without scrolling horizontally.

A trick is to build your site using the guides Layout > Guide Settings > Show Guide Borders
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Perhaps the screen resolution factor needs more explanation.
      The screen resolution of any monitor can be set to show 'big' images and text at (say) 800x600. or you can set it to show smaller resolution at say 1280x1024. Some guys with really good eyesight, set their resolution even finer than 1280x1024, if their monitor allows this.
      So, you can't say, that a particular web page always fully fills a monitor. It depends on the monitor resolution as well.
      However there are some clever web designers who adjust the width of a web page to fit the local screen resolution. If you do do a search in Google use "availheight" as part of your search.
      My advice is don't worry about this now.
      Royden

www.harrow-art.com
      www.harrow.co.za

Comment

I asked about this quite a few months ago & it cant be done with BV, so best to stick with the 800x600. I find just a touch smaller helps for laptop users to get rid of that bottom scrol bar.

Chris
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Actually, many pages are now designed with the pages fluctuating in size based on the computer screen. Many of the Soho templates are "fluid" templates. BV is based on things being exactly on the page where you place them - therefore not allowing for the fluid templates.

You'll actually notice that most of the biggies, banks, etc, do not use the fluid templates and do stay in the 800 resolution.

Believe it or not - screen width was at 600 when I started working on computers - and there are very few of those left. Since I don't see as many stats of people at 800 coming to my stores - I'm actually building stores at 1000 - but I'm doing so VERY carefully - so that those with 800 lose a column, but not the main feel and thrust of the pages.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
            I'm actually building stores at 1000 - but I'm doing so VERY carefully - so that those with 800 lose a column, but not the main feel and thrust of the pages.
            Very interesting and, may i say, clever approach. Thankyou.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
            X