Please help on template issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help on template issues

I am having problems with a template I'm using.

1.) First problem is that I can't seem to make the template height any taller, which is causing my text to go off the bottom of the template. Not sure where to make this longer.

2.) Second problem is that even though I checked box to "center page" my template appears to be to the right of center by quite a bit when I do "preview in browser".

3.) Would I be better off setting the template as a background or image? I think I set it as image, I'm thinking maybe setting it as background might take care of these issues??

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Please help on template issues

What is your URL?

1- Right click page properties and change height.
    2- Have to see it first, if you loaded as an image that could be why.
    3- Preferably you would load as background from page properties.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Well, my site isn't done yet. These issues arised while still in site builder using the "preview in browser" option. But my url is www.battleforumonline.com , keep in mind that it is in an unfinished state right now so there will be broken links and such. Just looking for some help on the appearance of my site at the moment. Also, I tried making a new page using the template as a background, and it caused it to be tiled like 4 times on my screen. So I went back to using template as an image. Just seems like I should be able to stretch my template image height.

Comment

I think I've seen this mentioned by you elsewhere....and in BV there are a few "tricks" to use to accomplish this AND quicken the load times as well.....

Think about breaking up your "template" into 'blocks' or 'pieces', this way when you "stretch" your template downward to accomodate your text flow, your top image will not distort.

Rather than have a single "block" to act as a background for your text (of varing sizes), try to lean toward the use of "layers" instead: you can have a rectangle BV 'shape' with a grey fill-in, for instance, and a black 2pt border for the 'frame'; then, insert and lay over this another rectangle shape with a white fill-in and AND a 2pt white border (ends the fuzziness of the edges, having same-color border).
        >> Objects in BV can be stretched easily thus, and you can now accomodate any speficific text flow needs as a background for your text boxes (set to Automatic fill-in=transparent), and when you use a static image at the top (or a series of images from top to mid-page) as stacked "banners" they will not distort and since they are presented as single elements, will load much faster and crisply.
        ** HINT: Create (add elments) your BV page in REVERSE ORDER! Be sure to add/place your top banner/images LAST, as this will translate into the FIRST things presented by the browser when visitors come to your website....let them see your logo and images loaded quickly before anything else!
        This is rather difficult to do, so I usually suggest Clicking on the few items and first COPY, then delete, and lastly, PASTE, which will re-insert the item, making it instantly re-positionable....be sure to note the XY axis reference in the lower right hand corner of the BV browser on your clicked/highlighted images before deleting so you can reposition precisely!

Once you have created your first "Template" (in the suggested manner above) it is super-easy to simply use the CLONE function to duplicate the same throughout your site, and simply paste the content back in. You may wish to simply save your pages you now have adding a number to each page title, just to have a visual record to *******te from and to copy/paste from....

Just an idea.........
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I'm lost on all that Vasili to be honest with you. I just tried using a template that I downloaded from BV and was just trying to plug graphics and text. I did figure out the stretching of images, but things are not working out to well for me right now trying to use the template. I'm thinking I might start over with something easier like a background color. That way I wont have trouble filling the screen with my site when viewed at different resolutions. I didnt care for the way the template centered on my screen instead of filling the screen. I'm having almost too many problems to list when using the template, but I am confident in how to use background colors and go from there until I get more experience.

Comment

Vaynloc:

I believe a website to be an extention of your image. Simple is good and I believe it fits my site, but if you are building a Tec site or an accounting site you may not want to convay the simple image. Thes are all personal choices with out a wrong or right. The templets are very professional

Comment

Vaynloc:

After viewing your site, L find it very good cosistant with image and format, while fine tuning tou may want to change either you background color or your text color. I would change the text color and size to 12
              with page properties set to 800w. try a color varation of yellow in custom colors it sucks on white background but would look good and make the text easy to read. You look to be fairly acomplished in puter skills.

Comment

Thanks Circuspet.com. I was thinking about doing what Vasili mentioned about layers. If I understood correctly he suggest maybe a box of sorts with a different colored background. I can see what you mean about the text size too, I will increase that.

As far as the 800 width goes. I have done that but I just dont feel satisfied when I view it in the browser and the page doesnt fill my screen, and also doesn't seem to center properly. Also my page size setting keeps changing to something higher. I read here somewhere that might be a indication of some elements outside of my page size grid, but so far I havn't found anything like that, unless one of my images is like 1 pixel over the border that I didnt notice.

Comment

I think I figured out my page centering issue. I read in another post about page size changing when moving or adding elements, therefore throwing off your page centering. So I had to go back to page properties and reset page size to 800 x 600 when I was done editing. My site still won't reflect my change since I have not republished it yet...still doing more work on it. Thanks everyone for your help on this stuff.

Comment

Vaynloc:

Let me know when your site's up and ready to play. Don't forget to put your URL in your signature in your forum control panel (like mine below) so
                    everyone can view your site.

Comment

Ok, thanks, will do. I just didnt want to add the url on my sig yet since it's not a complete site, but I probably would have forgot to do that, thanks for reminding me. Also thanks for the help on these issues. I'll post a thread on the promoting board when I'm done

Comment

Working...
                      X