Couple of technical questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of technical questions...

I love, love, love BlueVoda and Vodahost! Any application that lets someone as technically challenged as me create a website I can be proud of is a great app indeed!!

Having said that, I've encountered difficulty trying to give Vodahost proper credit on my website, www.justsaydogs.com. I went to the page html on my index page and tried to insert "Powered by Vodahost" at the end of the body. It keeps showing up in the preview at the very top of my page, and I don't know why. I was able to put in a copyright notice at the bottom, but can't remember what I did to make it show up where it's supposed to. I would love for everyone to know that Vodahost is hosting my site if someone can tell me if I'm missing html or trying to put it in the wrong place or what?

The second question is not specific to BlueVoda, but I'm hoping someone here can answer it. I've noticed on Internet Explorer that many sites I go to have a little avatar or initials next to the address and I'm wondering how you go about putting one on your address. I visited a BlueVoda user's website www.georgehester.com, (which is an awesome demonstration of what can be done with the tools supplied to us) and he has a little GH to the left of his address when it's displayed in my address bar. Anybody out there that can shed some light on either of these issues? I'll be most grateful!

Thanks!
    Honey Wesley
    Wish there was a magic way to get fresh, original content for your website or newsletter? There is!

Re: Couple of technical questions...

Hi Honey
    Not sure about the html thing.
    The little icon you are asking about is called a favicon and there is a good thread on the forum about them here

http://www.plusplace.co.uk
    royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

You have to insert the Vodahost banner in an html box. This is at the top of the lhs vertical menu.
      Position the top left hand corner of the html box where you want the banner to start. Double click the html box, and paste in the code for the banner.
      You don't have to resize the html box to the dimensions of the banner, but it does help in looking at your overall page layout if you do.
      Regards,
      Royden

www.harrow-art.com
      www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Insert it on your page, right click and open html and click "end of page"
        As to the favicon, I don't see any of them-only get IE's icon. Here's a way to make your own:
        http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials...le.php/3479911
        Bill
        www.blueearthtea.com
        www.ftaaconsulting.com
        www.iaval.com
        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Thanks y'all, for all your help! I've put "Powered by VodaHost" at the bottom of my index page, and now I'm off to see if I can figure out how to make a favicon!
          By the way, Roy, I love your animated signature!

Honey
          Wish there was a magic way to get fresh, original content for your website or newsletter? There is!

Comment

Hi Honey
            Thanks.
            If you want one post me your signature (Honey) in your own handwriting and I will do you one.

royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

I can do Favicons for you NH.... Charge Free of course, they only take a couple of mins.

All I need is the picture that you would like to use. It can be any size but it must be square. It can even be a photograph but photos with lots of detail do not come out well when it is sized down to the regular favicon size.

FPRULES

Comment

Awww, you guys....so sweet to offer your services....is it that obvious that I'm technically challenged? LOL! I am, though...and have wasted a couple of hours just trying to figure out which editor I can use! Rob, if it's really that easy for you, I would just LOVE for you to make a favicon for me. I don't think I have a pic that would be suitable for reducing that tiny, but borrowing from your own favicon...how 'bout one that says 'DogsRule' since my site is all about doggies? If that won't be legible, let me know and I'll try to think of something else to use....maybe a pawprint?

And Roy, I'd love nothing more than to have my name written out in my own handwriting, but I'm so impatient I don't want to wait on snail mail....is there anything you can do with using just my printed name? You can use Honey, or NurseHoney, since that's the username I almost always use in forums. Anything at all will be appreciated, including telling me where I might learn to acquire that skill for myself. (Unless it's as hard as making favicons, lol!)

Thanks again, y'all....can't wait to see what you come up with!
                Honey

Comment

Originally posted by ~Rob
                  I can do Favicons for you NH.... Charge Free of course, they only take a couple of mins.

All I need is the picture that you would like to use. It can be any size but it must be square. It can even be a photograph but photos with lots of detail do not come out well when it is sized down to the regular favicon size.
                  Why are favicons visible in Firefox but not in IE6, is it my browser that is blocking them?
                  Bill
                  www.blueearthtea.com
                  www.ftaaconsulting.com
                  www.iaval.com
                  www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Nurse ... Leave it with me for 5 mins and I will do a favicon for you... Dogs... No probs LOL

Bill its because IE doesn't recognize them properly. On my sites I am consistenly having problems getting IE to see the favicons but adding this code into the HEAD of your index page should help. Dont forget to swap my website address for your own (int he code) ;)

Code:
                    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.fprules.com/favicon.ico">

FPRULES

Comment

Nurse.... You can get your new favicon.ico from here....

http://www.fprules.com/files/favicon.ico

It will appear as a picture, right click with your mouse and choose 'Save As' then Put it in the same place as you index page. As Bill found. It might not get seen by IE but all other browsers should be fine.

If its no good (the design) let me know, I will find some more dog pics and make a better one :)

FPRULES

Comment

Thanks !!!
                        Bill
                        www.blueearthtea.com
                        www.ftaaconsulting.com
                        www.iaval.com
                        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

No Probs. I feel a bit strange because I don't use the BLue Voda software so I am not sure what it is like when it comes to adding your own codes but hopefully the code I gave you above can be added without too many problems.

FPRULES

Comment

Here is a sig for you.
                            Your own handwriting is a lot better though.
                            It didn't need to be snail mail. You could have posted by e mail or posted it on here.

royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

The sig's are ace... lNice file size too... I thought they'd be bigger. Excellent work for sure :)

FPRULES

Comment

Working...
                              X