• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kenhansen
    First Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Choice of Forum / Blogs

I have reached a stumbling block in the site design. My site will utilize a heavy local forum for discussion and information. I will also want to maintain a user database. I have installed Wordpress and it does not have the "feel" I thought it would, but can accept it with some tinkering. I just read the tutorials for phpBB2 and it looks promising. My main issue is I want users to log on from the beginning (which I have not figued out how to do yet) then not have to re-log to post to the forums. I am sure I am missing something really simple here, but would welcome any guidance. The last time I put one of these together they were called bulletin boards and usesr had to dial up directly to my computer (circa late 80's)!

Any assistance with either issue is greatly appreceiated.
  • kenhansen
    First Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Re: Choice of Forum / Blogs

Well, I posted this 3 days ago and received no reply. If I have violated a rule or asked a "stupid" question, I would sure like to know. I have a fair amount of computer experience but have never learned HTML programming. I really want to get this running without contracting it out. That's why I chose BlueVoda. Maybe not the best choice.

Comment

• bill2006
      Lieutenant General

• May 2006

No question is 'stupid'. What most likely happened is that no one saw it.
      Some of us aren't too **** with databases and Wordpress (I use Blogger).

Do a search for password and forms.
      Hope this is some help.
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• FPRob
        Colonel

• Aug 2006

Ken, it has been my experience that reuqesting people to log in just to view your site often drives people away. Better to let them broswe your site freely then just log into the forum as and when they need to. This also means that you only have one login system as you wanted.

I am affraid to say that it has also been my experience (mainly from talking to other designers) that phpbb is riddled with bugs and the new phpbb2 is still in beta testing stages so that properly has more bugs than ever.

FPRULES

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by kenhansen
          I have reached a stumbling block in the site design. My site will utilize a heavy local forum for discussion and information. I will also want to maintain a user database. I have installed Wordpress and it does not have the "feel" I thought it would, but can accept it with some tinkering. I just read the tutorials for phpBB2 and it looks promising. My main issue is I want users to log on from the beginning (which I have not figued out how to do yet) then not have to re-log to post to the forums. I am sure I am missing something really simple here, but would welcome any guidance. The last time I put one of these together they were called bulletin boards and usesr had to dial up directly to my computer (circa late 80's)!

Any assistance with either issue is greatly appreceiated.
          If you are looking for a utility for a one-time logon, a standard installation of a phpBB Forum would suit you fine. You can set permissions, for instance, where to activate a User profile+access to the Forum the Administrator must approve via email - which can be good, for it allows you to screen users and disallows immediate access to the board. *You can also specify that authorized Users must Logon manually each time they visit - prevents auto-logon...a good thing.

Secondly, permissions can be set for individual thread/topics, can reply/post or not, etc. This controls User interactions, and you can even establish a "progressive access" ranking this way - probation.

> Having a more restrictive Forum is controllable from a Management aspect, but since it is a "front-end" logon, it will be available to the general public to view.

I personally have a phpBB Forum performing specific tasks in addition to maintaining a "BB" function, and since I intend it for Authorized Company Access only, I have mine in a Password-Protected directory: User Name and Password is needed to enter the "area" which then presents the "Center"....to actually use the features, they must once again "Log In" with the Board. So what? A double security measure is the least of inconveniences to perform, according to my stipulations, of course!

> You CAN however, install your Forum in a Password Protected Directory also, and simply leave the board wide open.....thus, a one-time logon using pre-arranged User Names and Passwords (which would then be a Registration Function of the Website Admin, not the Forum).

Something to ponder.....

And....the phpBB Forum utility offered via Fantastico! (in your VodaHost account Control Panel) is completely worthy of your confidence!
          Forums offer more "tools" than blogs, such as mass email, group contacts, global chat. etc.
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• beegud2
            Major General

• Apr 2006

I don't have a forum and like Bill use Blogger...the blogs have the option of posting comments by users with out having to login and Blogger allows you control over who can post etc. It works for me for now as I don't really need a forum BUT it might really be an issue of your needs for your site.
            Beezz
            sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

• bill2006
              Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Now Ken, what was that about no replies? BV's are the best!
              Have fun, hope this works for you.
              Bill
              www.blueearthtea.com
              www.ftaaconsulting.com
              www.iaval.com
              www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• kenhansen
                First Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Wow! Now that was a response! My apologies to all. I was getting pretty frustrated. BV is great, but an old-timer like me has a bit of a learning curve to get through. Interesting though, I installed Yabb in the meantime and find you folks seem to lean toward phpBB2. Has me confused again. It the phpBB2 have better options or reliability over Yabb? I don't mind learning through experience, but I prefer good advice over random choice. Thanx!

Comment

Working...
                X