• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shabu
    Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2006

Error 404

Hello again everyone,
    I have managed to upload two of my six pages,but with the other 4 I keep getting this.....HTTP 404 Error
    File Not Found.

I am so close,yet so far away.
    Gary.
  • FPRob
    Colonel

• Aug 2006

Re: Error 404

It can only be one of two things Shabu.. Either the page isn't uploaded and the error is produced as a result of clicking a link to a page that doesnt exist on the server or...

The hyperlink is incorrect. For example... If you are linking to indxe.html (spelled incorrectly) rather than index.html (which will work fine).

Also, on this point of incorreect hyperlinks. If you have pages in different folders but are not linking into those folders then it would also be an incoprrect hyperlink for example. mypics.html (imaginary made up page name) might be in a folder called images but if the link doesnt say ............/images/mypics.html then the link wont work

FPRULES

Comment

• shabu
      Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2006

Okay,thanks very much for that,I will go and see if I can remedy it right now.
      Thanks Again,
      Gary.

Comment

• FPRob
        Colonel

• Aug 2006

No probs, leave another post if you have any more difficulty. We will get it working between us ;)

FPRULES

Comment

• shabu
          Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2006

Hello,
          I just do not understand what is going on,what am I doing wrong,and why are my first two pages linking up and my other four are not.
          Thanks,
          Gary.

Comment

• Nite Producer
            Lieutenant Colonel

• May 2006

You've sent another thread about the same probleme, take a look there FFPRob and I posted the answer
            The Producer

Comment

• FPRob
              Colonel

• Aug 2006

Originally posted by shabu
              Hello,
              I just do not understand what is going on,what am I doing wrong,and why are my first two pages linking up and my other four are not.
              Thanks,
              Gary.
              Mate.. you might not be doing anything wrong. dont panic yet :) Try uploading those pages again to se what happens but before you do, test the hyperlinks in a preview to see if they work or not.

There is something else. another factor that might be coming into play. I am sorry to get technical but there isn't another way....

Once per day the servers will refresh. this doesn;t necessarily effect you pages as such but you will notice when buying web addresses etc that they might not work straight away. The same might happen when you buy hosting space. The servers refresh automatically and sometimes it really is worth waiting for a short while to seeif the problem corrects itself.

To be truthful. I doubt if this is the problem but it definitely is worth being patient with technical issues and just seeing what happens.

;)

FPRULES

Comment

• Nite Producer
                Lieutenant Colonel

• May 2006

to this thread the following is already mentioned there

First what we've said is name your page without the ('), not in your link, you give your link the url without ('), try to verify the name of your pages and check if you gave the link the right name.

Ah, by the way, you publish all your pages in public_html or in the subfolder in public_html let's explain:

If you publish directly to public_html the url should be www.yoursite.com/yourpage.html

If you create a subfolder let's name it Folder1, the url should be www.yoursite.com/folder1/yourpage.html
                The Producer

Comment

• shabu
                  Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2006

Alright guys,
                  All my pages are in the public_html folder as I publish them.They are all named as you have mentioned above,the only thing I can think of is that the name of the page differs from the name at the end of the www.yoursite.com/yourpage.html
                  Say I have my contact page,I have named it as such www.rememberme4ever.com/Contact.html and when I am naming the page,I write it all in small case letters,would I be better off writing the page in small case letters aswell,for example www.rememberme4ever.com/contact.html
                  Cheers,
                  Gary.

Comment

• shabu
                    Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2006

I noticed that all pages are good when I preview them.They preview very well.
                    Gary

Comment

• islandcrazy
                      Major

• Jul 2006

i believe everything must be in lower case letters.
                      still working on website!

Comment

• FPRob
                        Colonel

• Aug 2006

lower case letter does help but if you use uppercase it shouldn't make any difference to the pages actually being found as long as the hyperlinks are also in uppercase. Lower case is more of a programmers little pet than anything.

A good point though IslandCrazy .... It is definitely good to make sure your links are identical to your page names.

I have to log out, got a bit of work that just came in but.. I will come back to this as soon as I can. Im not abandoning the problem Shabu :)

FPRULES

Comment

• Nite Producer
                          Lieutenant Colonel

• May 2006

do you use Blue Voda?
                          The Producer

Comment

• shabu
                            Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2006

Thanks,I will still be working with this,probably into tomorrow anyway.
                            Talk to you soon,and have a great day.
                            Gary.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

(Your page is not being "found" due to improper "naming")

To better understand how to solve this issue simply, go through the tutorials on proper page titles and linking once again.

Getting partial solutions from many directions can be confusing!
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                              X