Program quits... a computer problem here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spiritsoul
    Staff Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Re: Program quits... a computer problem here.

Originally posted by Andy128
    Can you open BV in safe mode?

Andy
    Good question Andy. Tried it in safe mode and it wouldn't work either.

But great question. I don't know what it means when it won't run in safe mode, but that's the story here.

Bob

Comment

• Spiritsoul
      Staff Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by zigzag
      Does the install of BV complete OK?
      Does it say "file will not load" when you try and open BV, or only when you try and open an existing dot bvp file?
      Can you open a new blank page?
      The install of BV does complete ok. No error messages.
      It is saying "file will not load" when I try to open BV, and nothing else comes up.

Another great question.

Bob

Comment

• Spiritsoul
        Staff Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by navaldesign
        When did this problem occur? if it is only some days ago and you haven't got any major software installations in the mean time, try simply restoring your computer to the settings you had f.e. 15 days ago. In most cases, this fixes the problem. Please not hat after you have run Registry fix, you might need to go back by even 30 - 60 days in restoring your system.
        This is the second time this problem has occured. I submitted a trouble ticket the first time, got the procedure they have for attempted re-installation, and that didn't work. I did a restore at that time to a time before the problem occurred, and it did fix the problem. BV started working again. Then some time later, the problem occurred again, and again, I went through BV's procedures from before, and it didn't work, so I did another restore, and went into the restore several times, until I only had about three restores left. I went back far before the restore time where it had worked before (about a month before it). It still wouldn't work. At present, I have uninstalled almost everything I have on the machine, except the OS, and dumped all temp files, most of the cookies, ran the regfix programs, McAfee, some online cleaners, like CCleaner. Nothing has been able to find the one thing that is preventing BV from working.

Bob

Comment

• Spiritsoul
          Staff Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Andy128
          Additionally- once every few months it is a good practice to run sfc scannow. Here is a link that shows step by step how to do it;

Basically- what this does is checks your windows OS and makes sure it has all the original files needed to properly operate. Often files become corrupt or may even be written over. This process restores them.

Andy
          Thanks Andy. I ran the above, and it ran ok to completion.

Bob

Comment

• Spiritsoul
            Staff Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Ok, everybody. I finally got the problem fixed. Here's what happened. When I was trying to solve the problem, I had made the decision to clean off C:/ drive, so I off-loaded as much stuff as I could, put some of it on my second large harddrive (120 ghz) and in the process copied all the BV files in "My documents" to my E:/ drive. I was trying to re-arrange things. The fix could have been a combination of things. Something I installed stopped BV from working temporarily, and then I moved the BV files to E:/ drive, so that when I got rid of the installation that made BV not work in the first place, then when I re-installed BV, the files it was looking for was no longer there. After I had ran sfc /scannow, I rebooted and tried the BV again, and noticed that the error message actually read "cannot open document" instead of "cannot open file". For some reason, the word "document" finally caught my attention, and made me remember the set of files I had copied to E:/ drive. I copied them back to C:/drive in "MY documents" and tried the BV program again. I came up immediately.

I want to thank everyone who was scratching their heads on this one. I did learn a lot from your questions, and suggestions, and I am appreciative of that. Thank you so much. You've all done well, in my book.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X