• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich Caruso
    Private First Class

• Sep 2006

display table fields

I stumbled through creating my DB and table in PhPMyAdmin. I can see it there.
    How do I connect the DB to my webpage?
    How do I display my table fields?
    Are db user permissions required?
    Thank you.
    meninblue.biz
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: display table fields

Let's start from the end.

You have full user permissions. Permissions for users are defined in CP, when creating the user.

To display the DB data in your page, you need a script (usually in php). Have a look at www.dbtechnosystems.com
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Rich Caruso
      Private First Class

• Sep 2006

That's it? Buy the answer?

C'mon, guys.

Seeing a field from a DB appear on a web page has got to be a common thing. Please. Someone tell us how! I'm sure we could all benefit.

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Buy the answer ? Why should you ever do so ?

Take some time (a couple of months at least), buy some books (as all of us who do this job did), try, retry, re-retry, until you have got ten coffees during the night, learn all that's there to learn about storing / retreiving data from a DB, learn all the security issues involved with databases, learn a bit of combining php with html to make php display things on your webpage, and you will surely get to the point where you will be able to do it yourself.

Please understand that this is a support forum where all of us share knowledge and experience, BUT up to a certain limit. Personally, i just can't suggest you anything else.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Andy128
          Major General

• Dec 2005

Rich-
          The long and short of it is that it is not that easy. As Naval said- you need a combination of php and html script to pull the data from the data base and then present it to the viewer. The manner in which it can be displayed is totally up to the developer (you) and as such, would be a custom script. It is time consuming and this is a volunteer forum. We can get you started, point you in the right direction etc... but when it comes to explaining a process that takes months/years to really master, there is a limited amount one can do.

The link that Naval pointed you to is just that- a service that he provides (at a modest price) to put together a script to accomplish exactly what you are trying to do. You will find that he is quite masterful with php and databases.

If you really want to completely do it your self- that is by far the best ( I fully support and encourage learning something new). Do a goodle search on PhPMyAdmin and there is plenty of documentation to get you started. Use the forum to fill in the gaps. I have been trying to learn Php for several months now and am only breaking the surface. In fact- I have only recently gotten comfortable with the simplest of data bases- the CSV files.

Hope that sheds some light on the limited reply.

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• Andy128
            Major General

• Dec 2005

As usual- Naval beat me to it ( I'm too long winded!) LOL.............

Hey Naval! Hope all is well with you and yours.
            **You can delete my post if you wish.
            Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Hi Andy, I Hope you are fine too.

no, your post is a pleasure for me. Rich just made me a little nervous, and i apologise if my post might sem a bit "angry", but just felt a bit offended.

Rich, please understand that each database script is self standing, custom made, and adapted to the rest of the user requirements, security issues, etc. So, practically, there is no way one can show you how to do it. You either learn how (the hard, long way) or you have it done. It is your choice.
              Navaldesign

Comment

• Rich Caruso
                Private First Class

• Sep 2006

Hello guys,
                I certainly appreciate your expertise and unwillingness to give it away.

To a newbie, displaying db data seems like a first-importance website-making task that should have been automated by someone by now. Or at least to have the generic steps and tools available.

Is there another easy (free) way to display changing content on my site?
                Rich

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Rich,

Maybe i have not made myself clear: this is NOT a unwillingness issue. What you are asking is NOT something that can be automated. It has to be CUSTOM made.

And, it is impossible to guide someone who has no knowledge at all of php, how this can be done. It would practically mean making the script for you.

And no, there is no other way. You can do it with files instead of databases, but it is, more or less the same thing.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

• davidundalicia
                    General

• Mar 2006

Rich, four months ago, I was in your position, I wanted to be able to store and then display data on my wedding dress site (latest lists).

As Naval and Andy has mentioned, its not easy.

I first bought a book which gave me the essentials, and then it was a case of seing what worked and how it worked.......Unlike naval, I consumed gallons of TEA, stayed up until 3 or 4 in the morning, cursed many times, but finally things started to fall into place.

You can see the results Here..........Working demo system.......

And Like Naval, I would like to give back to this community in any way I can, but most database applications require a unique solution in gathering and then displaying the data............This is what we charge a reasonable amount for.
                    Have fun
                    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                    Newbies / Beginners Forum
                    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• Rich Caruso
                      Private First Class

• Sep 2006