Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading php/mysql site onto VH server

Hi,

I'm embarking on a project to build a complicated website using mysql and php, but to start with I will build it on my own computer.

Once complete, is it easy to upload the whole site onto my domain and the VH server?

Also, would it be easier (and legal) to completely edit and customize scripts from the phpauction provided in fantastico?

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Uploading php/mysql site onto VH server

Sorry, another question:

Is there a way to combine a blue voda website builder page and php scripts? I have tried to embed a hello world script into a blue voda page and it doesn't work?

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

Jon

Go to page properties and change the bv extension to php instead of html. Then id should work.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi,

Thanks it wasn't that I typed the code in wrong sorry.

Any answers for my first question?

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

You would have to have php and mysql install on your computer for you to be able to test the webpage before you upload it to your website.

Uploading a website is simple assuming you know how to use a FTP program.

It is legal to edit an existing script under certain licensing agreement, and script that has modification or add-ons you , you just can't pass it off as your own work, you have to keep the copyright (unless they have a branding free version, which probably would cost money, not all script having a branding free version, not even all the major ones).

As to whether it would be easier to edit and existing script rather then create your own from scratch, that would depend on how easy the code is to read and understand, and how much knowledge and experience you have with using php and mysql. Also it would depend on the size of the script, and how many features it has as well. For instance if you to create a script like this forum from scratch, with the same features all by yourself, you would spends thousands of hours writing the code.

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

If your question is whether it is easier to build it on your computer or directly on the site, the answer is that building in on your computer will allow you to work and continously test whithout need to upload on the server and therefore without any problem related to the connection / upload. Also, the scripts on your computer run very fast, because there is no transfer so no delay.
            However, unless you have some php/apache knowledge, so that you can setup your computer in a similar way as your web server, the computer installed php versions usually have some different settings that will oblige you to use some commands in order to avoid error messages on your screen.

Once finished, you simply upload everything on the server.

An additional work that you will need to do, unless you also create an installation script: you will have to setup the database and its tables again.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks for both replies. I'm still undecided.

Does anyone know the license of the phpauction provided on fantastico? Could I change that?

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

Cancel that last post.

What is the ftp address of my website? ftp://ftp.mysite.com ?

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

if you are using your browser as a ftp then it will be 'ftp://yoursite.com"

If you are using a ftp program, it will just be "yoursite.com" or the ip address

Register/Login Script
                  Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Thanks.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                    X