adding cities to existing database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding cities to existing database

I had hired a developer to build and install my database.

The database has the names of all US cities.
    The problem is, I need to break out the large cities into districts. For example, San Francisco has 7 districts, San Jose has 6 districts.

I downloaded the cities table and thought that I could just remove San Jose and add say, san jose-east, san jose-west, san jose downtown...etc...

I would then just upload the file to the database.

It seems logical to me that this would work but he says no, that it will affect other things..(which he did not explain).

Does it make sense that a database would have to be "static"?
    Would it affect the search capabilities?
    Finally, would you need more info to determine if it would or would not work?

Any help, comments, are appreciated, I am under the gun here to get this project to market.

Re: adding cities to existing database

It would depend on the table structure, and if its just a single table or if there is a relationship between multiple tables (or within its own table for that matter). If you post the table(s) structure we can take a look and I can possible offer advice from there... but with just a vague description there really isn't anything anyone can tell you

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Re:structure

I am hoping this is what you were asking.
      Pardon me if its wrong.
      It is the natural progression...mess up early on with Blue Voda...get decent at it, then start moving on to databases and other things.

If you would, and I think it would be helpful is to go to the web page and look at the search box at top. I think, as I see this "structure" that the cities,st is redundant and not needed.
      It confuses the person doing the search.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
      www.mingamo.com

Field_name Min_value Max_value Min_length Max_length Empties_or_zeros Nulls Avg_value_or_avg_length Std Optimal_fieldtype qpmqfgp_coupons.cities.NAME (BWI)BALTMOR-WSHNG ZWOLLE 32 32 0 1 32.0000 NULL TINYTEXT qpmqfgp_coupons.cities.ST AK WY 12 12 0 0 12.0000 NULL ENUM('AK ','AL ','AR ',... qpmqfgp_coupons.cities.STATE ALABAMA WYOMING 16 16 0 0 16.0000 NULL ENUM('ALABAMA ','ALASKA ','AMERIC...

Comment

Re: adding cities to existing database

It's close but not exactly what I was looking for.

If you login to your cpanel, go to phpmyadmin. Select the database, and go to export. Uncheck data (structure should be the only thing checked). Just copy and paste the text it outputs into a post here. Assuming its only one table in the database, it should only be a dozen or two lines of text, if you get hundreds or thousands of lines of text then you probably didn't uncheck the data box.

Just a final note... even with this information I can't guarantee that if you do many changes it won't mess anything up. You may also want to talk to your programmer and ask what the ramifications of adding another row to the cities table would be and/or what else would have to be edited

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

I'll address it with programmer

I guess I will just bring it up with him.
          It is too important to risk as there is more than meets the eye.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X