• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sagasu44
    Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2008

script to protect download & soho v's basic paypal

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding selling a download on my site.
    I have built my site in BV, but now I want to sell just one download.

It seems easy enough to add a paypal button, which I have done. I have created a success page for paypal to return to after payment and this contains my download link. I have set the url as a series of numbers and letters as opposed to something obvious like 'success'.

I have read a few comments about protecting the download, but also many seem to accept that the system is not infallable, and that people share files and links regardless of whether we permit them to or not. I too accept that this will happen from time to time, but I also agree that if there is a way to make it harder I should.

So, my question is...if I pay someone to put together a script for protecting my download, what will it actually do? I'm a bit of a newbie, to selling stuff anyway, so it would be great if someone could explain the 'script' and what it achieves.

Also, I am thinking about installing soholaunch, but considering I only have the one product and don't require much in the way of a shop, I can't help but wonder if I need to go to the trouble of learning how to use it. Perhaps with one download product I am better off just keeping it simple and using the paypal buttons which after purchase return to the download page, but there is no doubt that is open to abuse from people who have no scruples....though I like to think most do the right thing..... But, if using soholaunch means my download is secure then I would definately be more interested in using it.

Any advice?
    Sarah
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: script to protect download & soho v's basic paypal

A instant download script usually works this way:

There is a small form where the user provides his email address . He then proceeds to payment through PayPal. After payment, PayPal posts back the payment details to the script. The script verifies the payment, and sends an email to the user with the link to download the file. This link is dynamic, it is related to the specific purchase/email address, and can only be used for a limited time or a limited number of downloads, after which it expires (automatically).

In some cases, instead of asking the customer's email address, you simply display him with an "Order nr" which he can then use to download the file.
    In this case, after payment, he is returned to the download page to download the file. Again, the download link is dynamic, and only valid as above.

Cost of such scripts: from $40 up to $70.

File sharing: there is nothing you can do about this. Once I get the file, i can share it with anyone I like.......
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• sagasu44
      Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2008

Thanks for the reply Navaldesign.

I'm not too worried about file sharing, as like you said, there isn't anything that can be done about it anyway, but now that you have explained how a script works it would be wise for me to get one to protect my download.

So, before I go and pay someone to wrtie a script for me I have one more question. If I install soholaunch does that provide the function you described?

I only have the one little product so dont want to get caught up learning how to use soholaunch if not neccessary.

Cheers

Sarah
      Sarah

Comment

• sagasu44
        Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2008

PS.....
        Can I use the form maker wizard to achieve the same thing as a custom designed script?

Sarah
        Sarah

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

I'm not a Soholaunch expert (or even user...) But I recall Karen Mac (who WAS an expert in Soho) saying that it can be done.

Not sure as I said, HOW you need to move with Soho.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• sagasu44
            Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2008

Ok, thanks Navaldesign. I'll look into soholaunch a bit more and if I need advise will contact karen. In the mean time I shall pop over to the forms threads and see if I can get any info re using the wozard to create script.
            In the mean time, I think I remember reading that you could provide a script for a fee. Am I right and if so can you let me know.

Cheers

Sarah
            Sarah

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

I'm afraid Karen can no longer help you, she has left us some time ago.

Probably Vasili will able to do so.

The form wizard can NOT be used for your purposes (though you can build the form with it but without the proper backend)

Yes, I do provide such scripts. If you wish you can contact me through my site contact form.
              Navaldesign

Comment

• sagasu44
                Sergeant First Class

• Sep 2008

Great, thanks for all the advise. I have sent a PM regarding getting the script.

Cheers

Sarah
                Sarah

Comment

Working...
                X