Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help- text/images displaced on other computers

Hiya!

This problem has been "with me" since I built my first few pages. Can anyone tell me how I can resolve? I've built my site on a laptop. When I look at a preview, all looks fine. When someone else does, they see text overlap images, or extend beyond "boxes" I put it in, or images over text, etc. - many things misplaced/displaced. Someone who's going to sell me a desktop soon told me it might be a driver problem with my laptop because my laptop SHOULD be able to handle this. Another friend said I really need to build my site on a desktop (and I forget why...)

I saw a thread explaining a similar problem (wrote in there some time ago but didn't hear anything, so forgot the issue for awhile... so I hope nobody gets mad at me for starting a new thread here!)...anyway, in that thread someone wrote it has "everything" to do with screen resolution. However...ummm...when I changed my resolution to make it larger, all my text and images appear distorted to ME, on MY laptop. Text and images look like written on stretched-out rubber bands... and I cannot work with that (geez.)

I'm grateful for any help anyone can offer! Will check back here in a couple hrs....(it's 1 pm est)

Leeza

www.colourtherapyspa.com

Re: Help- text/images displaced on other computers

What resolution do you have your computer set at?

It looks fine on my laptop - and I do ALL my web building on a laptop, btw.

Also, that background is really, really not soothing - and made me want to leave the page like NOW - couldn't stay on to read if I wanted to.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Yes wow that honestly hurt my eyes, it certainly does need toning down Leeza.

Good luck with it but I would certainly tone it down, espcially your inner pages.
      www.anxietynomore.co.uk
      The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
      Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
      Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

Ok, thanks for your input...re: the background...do you mean the FAR background, , i.e. on index page the running water..and on the other pages the dark water swirls...or the blocks under text? I'm trying to keep a "spa" atmosphere (water) going, and can see it might be too much...any suggestions?

My screen resolution is 1280 by 800 right now.

colourtherapyspa.com

Comment

It's best to "compose" at 1024x800, and should be the most universal setting for your surfing as well (and if you have a wide screen, understand that 1280x800 should be the max, as anything larger will distort shapes and images to fill in the wide screen settings).

I would suggest using a lighter blue for the fill-in for your text "boxes," and using the same color only 2 shades lighter for the border of those boxes at 1pt only....this way it will make the text boxes seem to "float" and be more similar to the animated background you are using (there is such a great contrast between them now that it makes the animation so much more noticable and distracting, which is the root reason that caused what others have commented on).

I would eliminate your "View Cart" button placed in your header, and use textual links instead (having it in the header is only one construct rule, but not always the best - especially with Google's newest released standards). Were it I, placing this button textually as a link at the top of my left-navigation Menu would be proper.

And, although I know you are demonstrating your "relevance" of color therapy by using different colored letters in your logo, to me it looks childlike, and unprofessional.....I might explore using a palette, or a rainbow-like swoosh under my text logo instead.....try to keep thinking about permanance of your BRAND, and how duplicative logos need to be for the variety of uses later: print, business cards, postcards, advertising, etc. Using a solid color distinctive text-based logo with a recognizable/associative accent is much more effective.

Also think about the use of capitalization in your font chosen: there is a better way to emphasize your message, and you should never resort to letter devices to compensate for composition. And about the font itself: It may appear elegant to you, but is this the most preferrable font for overall effectivness in communicating with your visitors (prospective clients)?? If your chosen font makes it even slightly difficult or is cause to make for slower reading, you've lost already (on the home page, no less!!).

I would also set up your Menu navigation with only ONE link indicator: either use the ">" as you have with an underline as a "hover" effect (set up in Edit Styles in hyperlink dialog) or if keeping the underline, lose the arrow and have the "hover" effect be a change of colors::just don't use both. And, align the items exactly. Using different font sizes in your list looks elementary -- try using same size, but Bold for your Main Groups (which should have their own page, as an introduction). REMEMBER: Google's newest metrics is based on the "Perfect Page" model, meaning everything technical is done to perfection (title, meta, keyword, KW>Content, etc.) but also emphasizes the SE's recognizing and freely ranking each page with it's own KW baseline: in other words, it's better to have lots of smaller pages, and those pages concentrate on specific tight topics rather than "blended" pages no matter how well constructed.

For a quick glance, I suppose I've carved up enough to chew on for a while. I'll check back later on to see which directions you've chosen.

You've got mail!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Had a look from my computer and all looks fine with images.
            I see what Bethers is saying about colour. I think its the fact that you are using the green and blue writing myself with that green background. Its too much for the eyes to bare. I think you should make the writing darker (if not, go black) and if that is still too hard on the eyes, maybe change the colour of the background of where the writing is placed on.
            Probably too bright for the eyes - Good luck with it!
            Willows

Comment

PS: You mentioned threads discussing screen settings, and how they relate to publishing in BV as well as surfing?? Search (advanced) using "laptop" and my name, and you'll find the 2 week long problem solving conversations....

Comment

Leeza,
                Both backgrounds hurt my eyes and make it impossible for me to stay. I also clicked on one page in navigation and got a 404 error - chakra, I think.

I also agree that the > look bad in the navigation - I'm not sure why you put those there?

With "therapy" in your name - I see a more soothing background - and also - the swirls color doesn't blend with the rest of the page - the colors clash.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

wowwwww. work to do.

Comment

Bethers....

Use of an arrow (>), double semi-colons (::), or other innocuous symbols have long been utilized to indicate the presence of a link when not underlined. It has been used professionally for years now, especially when replacing the static underlined links that became so hodge-podge-like for large sites with many pages or navigable destinations (and are especially favored in Flash site design). You didn't know that?
                    The suggestion was to use one or the other, but not both....

And, it is Lisa's decision on which direction to take to "solve" the issues presented in such a manner for her understanding to be enhanced, rather than as a response to "pronounced observations", don't you think?

Comment

Vasili, I'm not here to argue with you. I hope Leeza knows that I'm only saying what I say to help - and if she has a problem with me or how I say anything, I hope she'll tell me.

I was actually agreeing with you, and you seem to take umbrage with most of what I say. The average person does NOT recognize the arrow or semi-colon as you seem to think they do - it just appears to be extra text.

Now - if you have a problem with me - why don't you email me with it - and we can talk it out - but I'm not going to bicker in here with you. I don't want to steal this thread- but I'm anti flash sites for sales sites - or any site that wants good se ranking.

Leeza has the right to take anything I say and use it or not - it won't hurt my feelings. And I think she understands that. Her navigation is obvious and doesn't really need the > or the underlining but in my personal opinion, the > is what most would find looks like errors on the page.

Again, Leeza, sorry for the turn this thread is taking - and if I can help you in any way, feel free to ask - and also, feel free to know that I don't expect everything I said to be used, either.
                      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hey Leeza, I am a newbie to all this too, but trust me Bethers is an exceptional person with her help and idea's. Bethers gave me some advice on Google re: text etc and how the spider see's our pages! Well I listened, and guess what, depending on what you type in google, I can come up on page 5, page 3 and page 2, and have just gone on Google! The spider came after I fixed all my text like Bethers said but before I had completed my Sitemap, so who knows where I will be when the spider returns and it picks up my sitemap too. So take Bethers advice, she is here to help and is an exceptional lady. Thanks Bethers!!!
                        Willows : )

Comment

Working...
                        X