Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions - someone rescue me!

Hey everyone :)

Firstly - really enjoying building my site. But I've run into a few issues and, after looking through tutorials and the forums (Promise! I have!) I still can't seem to find the answers.

So here goes...

1. How do I add boarders to the edge of the screen and set their colour?
    2. I want to include an MP3 that plays from the homepage. I've tried adding a WMP icon but nothing works. Do I have to have the music uploaded for it will work? I've tried various online flash players too but they're often full of links.
    3. If I want to modify the template, can I do this and will it then "adjust" all the pages the template is on or do I start building the site again?
    4. Menu sizes seem to be erratic - is there any way to change their size or make the text fit the menu box?
    5. I have my own domain name which I will transfer over. I want to test linking pages though - can I do this before registering/publishing my site?

I think that's it for the mo. Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Dan J
    UK

Re: Newbie questions - someone rescue me!

Originally posted by Powdermonkey View Post
    Hey everyone :)

Firstly - really enjoying building my site. But I've run into a few issues and, after looking through tutorials and the forums (Promise! I have!) I still can't seem to find the answers.

Great to hear you are browsing through the forum for your solutions before you make your post. That's great!

So here goes...

1. How do I add boarders to the edge of the screen and set their colour?

I believe you are wanting to choose a background so that the entire screen of anyone's computer is filled. You do this by right clicking on your page, select page properties, select background, and choose a background color. You can also choose an image, although unless your image is properly sized it will give a "tile like" appearance and you won't like that. So be careful when choosing an image for the background.
    2. I want to include an MP3 that plays from the homepage. I've tried adding a WMP icon but nothing works. Do I have to have the music uploaded for it will work? I've tried various online flash players too but they're often full of links.

Also in the same area in page properites you can choose Sound - this will play the music automatically when the page is loaded, if this is what you want to do. Some people do not like music playing when they land on a page, so their choice to turn it off is always nice. You could add your music via the media icon in the web builder, it is on the left looks the same as windows media player icon. Click this and then browse for your music file, you will notice the player will give the opportunity to have the users start it or turn it off.
    3. If I want to modify the template, can I do this and will it then "adjust" all the pages the template is on or do I start building the site again?

Pages do not make automatic adjustment unless you are building with the php method. So you will have to adjust your template and apply it to all pages otherwise.

4. Menu sizes seem to be erratic - is there any way to change their size or make the text fit the menu box?

You will have to adjust the size of the text in your navigation boxes. If you can, choose shorter words on your navigation menu. Your alternative is to create your own in a photoshop program. Or alternatively, you chould choose the "text menu" it's pretty popular and even ranked one of the best for search engines.

5. I have my own domain name which I will transfer over. I want to test linking pages though - can I do this before registering/publishing my site?

You cannot test the linking from page to page, however, you can test individual pages. Be sure to have your linking down pat and applied correctly by viewing the tutorials on hyperlinking your pages together ...

I think that's it for the mo. Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Dan J
    UK
    Welcome, good luck and when you order your hosting you can request a transfer of your domain to Voda Hosting - this is a free service provided for you when you first join VodaHosting.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks for the quick respsonse :)

1. Backgrounds - what I meant was having a main white area and then having a page boarder around this. I knew the Background option existed but it just changes the whole page colour, which I don't want. Does that make sense?

2. I figured I could imbed sound into the page. However I'd like visitors to know the name of the track and to be able to stop it should they desire. I tried Media Player and chose the audio. however it just didn't seem to work.

All the rest is useful info - many thanks :)

Dan

Comment

I am not sure why your media player option is not working ... but in answer to your other question you can use the INSERT SHAPE - you then resize the shape and apply a 2pt border - colours of your choice. Best to keep your pages within the '800 width ... and choose center in browser ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
        X