General page width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General page width

Is there a page width that everyone generally uses? I have mine set at 1000, which works well with my computer. However, I just got onto another computer with a smaller screen and my web pages do not completely fit within the confines of the screen...you have to scroll slightly right for them to fit. I just didn't want someone with a small screen to miss something that is just outside their viewing area.

Thanks!

Re: General page width

Width 800 is usually the one to use. In my opinion, since most statistics indicate that most monitors are now 1024 or even 1280, you can safelly move in the 1000 range.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Amen to Naval's answer. I also use 1000 as it works best for me. See this interesting discussion and particularly post #6 (by Bethers) in this thread. Stick to 800 wide! Or go larger?
      Bless you
      Tom

Comment

Thanks everybody. I've tried two other computers now (some fairly old) and the page width of 1000 fit just right. It would seem that on these, anything wider than 1000 would result in having to scroll right to see it all. I guess that 1000 is becoming the new standard.

Thanks again.

Comment

If you were on a computer in the early days - the screen resolution was 600 - which is now considered obsolete - although I did see a computer with it the other day. 800 is going that way - but slower - as some people just hate change. But you are safe with about 80% now at 1000 (as most have 1024 or above). And I build for that today.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

I was wondering this too...ive got a wide screen laptop and pages are automatically streched sometimes in full screen,so it took some time to get the right page width. My currenct website is at 1094 as this means that there is no bottom scroll...if that makes sense.

Comment

I will rather play save and stick to 1000.
              Bless you
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Superdude View Post
                I was wondering this too...ive got a wide screen laptop and pages are automatically streched sometimes in full screen,so it took some time to get the right page width. My currenct website is at 1094 as this means that there is no bottom scroll...if that makes sense.

Yes, you are about right, no bottom scroll for you ... but there is for many others ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                X