Portal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal Question

I want to eventually purchase one of your eCommerce templates, but knowing that it might take some time to get my store up and running I would like to get a "Simple Site" going. However the one feature that I would like to add to me basic site is some sort of selective browsing. I envision giving a certain number of my existing (We have a retail business) customers a User Name and Password so they can look at pages that normal users cannnot. What would be the best way to proceed?

Re: Portal Question

I think you are a bit confused on how osCommerce works.

osCommerce is a fully integrated eCommerce solution, complete with a "cart" system, payment modules, catalog generators, and everything you could possibly desire to run a full-boat online store ..... and with the extremely long list of available plug-in's and MOD's you can add the functionality you might require in addition to what is considered standard.

osCommerce comes with a common, or default "template" which can be customized with your header, footer, and other aspects. For more advanced "look-and-feel" customizations, Premium Templates are available for purchase which can also be fully "customized" as well. Templates are best understood as referring to different "layouts" or appearance, and not just the colors or images that come stock with them. These colors, images, and other elements that come with the templates can also be changed and modified, but usually by someone with more experience than the average person: that is why pre-configured templates are offered in the first place, to give a variety of layouts and styles with the minimum of work required to "personalize" with your logo, header, information, etc.
    >> Point is, you do not need to purchase a template, but you have that option. You can install OSC and even run it having changed the header and footer only (a very simple no-brainer procedure) and still have the confidence that your store is top of the line!

Clients do not need to register in OSC to view product or to browse your entire site....they are only asked to register when they initiate the process to purchase anything (you need the obvious info to sell anything!). Previously "registered" customers are given the opportunity to login to their account to view their purchase history, Wish List, track a purchase, view items still in their cart, etc.

If you wish to have a Preferred Store not available to "regular customers" you will need to create a password protected directory in your account and install a wholly separate OSC store in that directory. This means all customers will need to login to that store to even have access to it.

OSC does not have a "partitioned store" function (where there is a section open only to certain clients, password or not) unless you are able to find a plug-in solution that can be installed to your installation specifically. Usually you will need to contract with an independent OSC t developer to install these MOD's and assure that they are installed correctly and do not destablize your store.

For more details about osCommerce and all the features you can enjoy from your Free installation as a VodaHost client via Fantastioco! in your Control Panel, follow the link in my signature to explore the Official Sites.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
    X