Issue on going from 800 to 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue on going from 800 to 1000

Ok, so I'm going to take the plunge and go 1000 wide on my sites now.

However, I just did a test run on one of my existing sites. Now I have a fairly small screen and when I went 1000 wide it fitted fine without any scroll just as long as I DON'T centre the site. There were no gaps either side and the site looked good.

My partner however has a much wider screen than me and obviously there was no sidewards scroll either, however because I had not centred the site she has a lot of whitespace to the right of the site.

Am I doing this right? Is there a way around this?

I appreciate I use a very old box type monitor but this is because I am not a huge fan of flat screen at the moment, (probably down to my age!), but I am sure many others have screens like mine too.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Re: Issue on going from 800 to 1000

Flat screens are the way to go. They consume much less power and less space. The trick is adjusting the angle to get the most of the colors. Play with the angle a little (they typically have to tilt back more) and you'll be impressed.

As to the space left on the right side. I have visited many sites that have that and it is a huge pet peave with me. While it may be the only way to get everything in the screen to fit nicely- the empty space just grates me. To be honest, I would rather scroll a little side to side than have that space.

I guess it is because my first thought is always.........hmmm, nice looking site but they couldn't even center it.........how amature.

Sorry- just my opinion.

Andy (the center-er) LOL
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Center it - and she will have it centered on her page. And you should still be seeing it just the same. If you're seeing scroll on 1000, try 980 or so - because if there's no scroll all the way right, there should be no scroll centered.

I do recommend that if you can, make the site where the far right "200" can be something that if not seen by the people, isn't really an issue - notice on my sites, that's a column with info like testimonials, etc, but that the bulk of the site is still seen by people on 800 width.

As to professional or not whether centered, I find it professional either way. Some prefer one or the other - and since I started centering mine, I like it better. Just personal choice though.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you Beth and Andy I will play about with it to see what I can do. I think I agree with you Beth that it should be centred so I'll try bringing it in a bit.
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Beth, I went 980 and centred and it now looks much better thank you. You mentioned about putting the not so important bits on the RH 200 side but trouble is this is where I always place my Adsense, which on this particualr site IS the most important bit as the site is purely just an information portal and the only income off it IS the Adsense.

Having said this, looking at last year's stats only 5% of my viewers had a screen size less than 1000 anyway so I'll take the chance I think.

Thank You

Comment

Hi Ramsey,
            Remember that size isn't everything LOL. you can have a screen 2 meters wide & one at 500mm & still look the same in the respect of side scroll & the gap down the sides. The main criteria is what the visitors screen resolutions are set at.
            There are quite a few BV users that when you go to there sites to see what it looks like & leave comment on a lot of side scroll. They often say its fine on my screen. Its usually down to the screen res is set up wrong at there end for web browsing.

Good luck.

You have many users of BV
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris,

oh I fully understand that, I appreciate it's not the size of the screen as such, all I meant was that when I make the site 1000 wide it takes up my full screen which is fine and on my partner's it takes up about 2/3rd's. Now this wasn't the problem, the problem was that because her screen was wider there was a lot of space on the RH side. But having bought the site in to 980 and then centering it this makes it now look much better on BOTH size screens.

I appreciate if I tried to make my sites to look great in everyone's screen around the world I would never finish it!

Comment

Exactly- that 5% is why I figure this is a good size to build in now. A year ago (I just checked figures on the web) we were down to 14% still using 800 resolution - and it keeps dropping. As you noticed, and I have - we see much less than that actually using it on our websites. I'm waiting for the year end figures this past year to be posted for that.

And, yes, I always say 1000 - but to truly fit - it requires being a bit under it for the 1024 resolution - so 980 (like to fit an 800 window properly, you actually have to build at about 780.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                X