Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page size

Hello,
    I just downloaded BV last week and I have been playing with it an trying to learn as much as I can about it. But I do have a couple of questions.

1) When I open a new page the scale at the top is set at 800 should I be leaving it there and building within that parameter.
    I am assuming that it has something to do with how the page will display in the browser once it's published.
    I don't want to have left - right scroll when the page is being viewed.

2) I have been working on creating a basic page layout for my site, my own template of sorts, I have been using the "clone page" feature. Is this the best way to do this?

Thank you in advance for your response.
    Bob

Re: Page size

Hi, if you want to cater for everyone with page width, go for around the 780 to 800 size. More BV users are aiming towards the 1000 wide page to get more info on the screen. Only a personal view! but i go with what most large & well used sites set theirs at. Even VH sets theirs at around the 790 HSBC & Bank of America & many more are still using 800'ish pages.
    On the saving a page? You can do this with a template or a clone. Must admit i tend to use the clone facility more often.

Good luck.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Yep I agree with the780 - 800 size. I have always used 780 on my sites.

http://www.plusplace.co.uk
      royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

I am in the school of thought of building pages around 1000 wide now - as less and less people are browsing at 800. But, yes, to be completely with no left/right scroll, you'd have to build at about 780.

I have several template pages. After I have a design for the index page, I save that and use it to build other pages. Then when I have a page I want to use for certain types of products, I name it something that makes sense to me - and use it for all products I want using that design.

So, I rarely use the clone feature anymore - but, yes, it works, also. It's all what will work best for you :)
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
          A few more questions.
          How important is the scale at the top of the page when I'm building the site?
          The elements that I have added go beyond the scale to about 950 but when I check "page properties" the width is set to 800. When I "preview" the site it looks fine on my computer but because I have not yet published I don't know what it will look like live.
          Also, I have just started to add "image buttons" to what will become my Home page. I worked on the page for awhile and then closed the program.
          When I opened it back up I had the square where the image should be but it said "image not found". When I preview the page all is well and the image buttons are there. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?
          I very much appreciate all of your help.
          Bob

Comment

Hi

If the element is 950 then your pages will be 950 regardless if you set your page properties to 800 .. you might consider reducing the size of this element and be sure it is optimized as well .. or if you keep it at 950 realize your page will be 950 wide ..

If you insert an image it should remain on the page unless you move the image around on your computer, so if you move images after inserting you will find this .. best to keep images in your folder and leave them there ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

More on the page size -
              You need to determine what width you want to make the template - and design it to that width. Then do NOT put anything outside that width. If you do, it automatically will widen the page no matter what you have it set as - as Lady Eye has said. It's up to you to determine that size - and design within it.

(Your old storebuilder - would widen and widen pages, LOL - and you never knew - this website builder you can see it.)

When you preview - you are seeing it how it will look published.
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hello again,
                Please bear with me as I try to figure all of this out.
                On size....some larger and much used sites are going with 780 - 800. Some are stepping up to 1000 and I assume thats due to tech advances with monitors. When I preview on my computer there is no left to right scroll and it should remain that way when the site is published.
                Beth, I was wondering what your CHILDS PALACE site is? I like the way it fills the screen but no scroll.

On images, I still need help with this one. Let me explain what I did. I think I may have missed a step somewhere.
                On the tool bar I clicked the button to add an "IMAGE BUTTON"
                When the dialog box opened it was set to -look in - blue voda
                The image that I wanted is not in that file so I clicked the arrow at the end of the box.
                Selected "my documents"
                selected "my pictures"
                opened the folder that contained the desired image
                and then opened the image
                the image did appear in the builder and also on the preview page. And appeared in the builder the whole time I was working on that page.
                Once I closed the builder and then opened it back up again the images were no longer visible. But they are there when I preview the page.

Which brings me to this.....When I click on the IMAGE BUTTON and the dialog box opens to - look in - Blue Voda there is a folder for IMAGES as it shows in the tutorial.
                Some of the images that I have been putting on my page as I play with the builder are in the folder and some are not.
                I don't know how they got in there and I don't know why some are and some are not. But the ones that are not showing up are not in that file.
                I do beleive that this is my problem. So i guess the big question is....how do I get images from "MY PICTURES" on my computer into the "IMAGES" file in the BV folder.
                I know, long winded for a simple question.
                Thanx for taking the time to help.
                Bob

Comment

copy and paste them there.. :)

After you publish or insert them.. they should be there. BV should upload them for you from where ever they are inserted. There has been a couple of bugs, not sure if this is one or not. I havent ever had that issue.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                  02036089024 / United Kingdom
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hello Karen,
                    Always good to hear from you
                    The only way that I know how to access that file is when I open it from the menu bar to add an image or image button to the page I am working on. So I don't know how I could cut and past the image into that file.
                    However I did try this (always playing) I opened "My pictures" opened the folder that contained the image I wanted, right clicked on the image, clicked on "properties" at the top of that box it says OPEN WITH and shows "microsoft office pictures" right next to that there is a "change" button. When I clicked on that sure enough Blue Voda was an option. I selected that, reloaded the the "IMAGE BUTTONS" and now they stay put when I close and reopen the buider.
                    They have also been added to the IMAGES file in BV.
                    So I think I have this one figured out.
                    As always, thank you for your GENEROSITY.
                    Bob

Comment

Hi
                      Just to drag the page size discussion on a bit longer!! Some sites I have seem automatically adjust their width as the page size reduces, say if you expand your favourites window for example and no scroll bars, how do they do that and can it be done in BV

Thanks

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by OZMADMAN View Post
                        Hi
                        Just to drag the page size discussion on a bit longer!! Some sites I have seem automatically adjust their width as the page size reduces, say if you expand your favourites window for example and no scroll bars, how do they do that and can it be done in BV

Thanks

Paul
                        Hi, cant be done directly with BV, but can be done with html. Try this link.
                        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris

I am not a coder so I wouldn't know how to edit it to suit my pages or where to put it in relation to the html that is already on the pages

Thanks again for the link tho

Paul

Comment

Bob,
                            A Child's Palace and Pinata Palace are both made at 1000 width.

The size of a person's screen has nothing to do with how they see the site - it's the resolution their computer is set at. You have no control over what resolution they will use. That said, by sister - whose husband adamantly refused to change from an 800 resolution - just MADE him change - because sites are beginning to force it with so few people at that resolution anymore.

Okies, I'm a tad confused when you say "image button" - that's now how you want to add images! I'm not sure what that is for - but in the row ABOVE that - find the one that simply says "image" NOT image button.

You can also experiment with the gallery feature (look towards the bottom of the row of icons on the left).

I would have to experiment with what the image button is - but button implies something like a button LOL - so go to the regular image icon, please.
                            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                            X