I'm a new user with FEW questions(excuse me if it's a wromg topic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Javid
    Private

• Apr 2008

I'm a new user with FEW questions(excuse me if it's a wromg topic)

Greetings everyone.

I'm new to web side bulding and i need some assistance.
    Had a look aroung the website/tutorial and looking thougth forum now.
    Tryed out BV and came to a conclusion i got quite few questions to ask.
    Any assistance much aprisiated.

Questions:

1) In Navigation menu: is it posible to have a drop down menus?
    2) How can i tryout my website prior publishing it?
    3) Do i need to have a domain with VH to be able to publish my sites?
    4) All pages saved in .html?
    5) What are the compatobileties of BV with different brousers?

P.S. Don't mind gramatical errors pls.
  • Meanderer
    Major

• Aug 2007

Re: I'm a new user with FEW questions(excuse me if it's a wromg topic)

Hi Javid,

Yes. There are a number of different Navigation/Menu configurations avaialble.
    2) How can i tryout my website prior publishing it?
    Use the "Preview in Browser" button in the builder. Note: links won't work IF they are built to suit the Finished Online pages. (URLs will not exist)
    3) Do i need to have a domain with VH to be able to publish my sites?
    YES. BV is FREE VodaHost proprietry software that makes building a website very easy but it is encrypted to only work on VodaHost Servers.
    4) All pages saved in .html?
    When you save them they are stored on your computer as .bvp files. When you publish to the server, BV converts them to HTML or PHP. A choice you make when creating the page.
    You can use FTP to upload other file types such as mp3, .pdf .doc etc.
    5) What are the compatobileties of BV with different brousers?
    Excellent. However, Browsers don't always handle code the same and so you are wise to use web friendly fonts etc., and try your pages in different browsers. If published already, the URL for a page can be submitted to an on-line site that will post screen shots of the page in al sorts of browsers and O/S.

Don't be afraid of publishing pages before they are finished. I was afraid that my pages would be seen by everyone whilst under construction. Truth is, people are only going to see it IF the search engines have you listed (takes time) and if you publicise your web address. You can also try pages online by saving as a differert name and manually typing in the URL. No one else will even know it exists!
    Good luck,
    Rick

Comment

• RJames
      Private

• Apr 2008

Originally posted by Meanderer View Post
      Hi Javid,

Yes. There are a number of different Navigation/Menu configurations avaialble.
      Good luck,
      Rick
      Can you elaborate on this...
      I have been trying to get the Navigation tool to accept dropdown items...
      Thanks... James

Comment

• Meanderer
        Major

• Aug 2007

I can't elaborate more than what is shown in the Tutorial Videos!
        Go here and look down the list of tutorials and you will see a few on Menus that even nominate "Drop Down" menus.
        Always try the Tutorials first and then the search function to search the forums for the topic you don't understand. It's the best way to learn. Until you are looking to do something really out of the ordinary, you should be able to find the "how to's" in this way.
        Good luck. :)

edit: I didn't notice that you were a different user to the one who asked originally.

Comment

• RJames
          Private

• Apr 2008

Originally posted by Meanderer View Post
          I can't elaborate more than what is shown in the Tutorial Videos!
          Go here and look down the list of tutorials and you will see a few on Menus that even nominate "Drop Down" menus.
          Always try the Tutorials first and then the search function to search the forums for the topic you don't understand. It's the best way to learn. Until you are looking to do something really out of the ordinary, you should be able to find the "how to's" in this way.
          Good luck. :)

edit: I didn't notice that you were a different user to the one who asked originally.
          I am a different user, Thanks for the link... James

Comment

• puzzled
            Corporal

• Jul 2008

Javid, did you really understand the responses? i viewed the tutorial on navigation bar several times and i dont see where it tells you how tomake the navigation bar into a drop down menu. where you able to figure it out from these responses? if so i would really appreciate someone taking the time to tell me step by step how to and NOT refer me to a tutorial that does not answer the question. please please let me know when you figure it out. thanks frustrated.

Comment

• D'son
              Major General

• Apr 2008

Originally posted by puzzled View Post
              Javid, did you really understand the responses? i viewed the tutorial on navigation bar several times and i dont see where it tells you how tomake the navigation bar into a drop down menu. where you able to figure it out from these responses? if so i would really appreciate someone taking the time to tell me step by step how to and NOT refer me to a tutorial that does not answer the question. please please let me know when you figure it out. thanks frustrated.

Ok in plain english, on the left side of the page builder there a bunch of icons, navagation, menu bar, go menu, text menu and slide menu. Depending on what you want it to look like they all do the same basic thing. For a drop down menu you could use a menu bar or a slide menu. Try clicking one of them on a blank page, double click it and add some items. See what it looks like in preview. If you don't like it change it through attributes or try the other one. The thing to remember is until you publish you can try out all the different features (I suggest one at a time) until you are comfortable, then create a real page. Hope this helps, don't know how to be must clearer.
              Reguards
              Ed
              www.dsondesigns.com
              www.marseillesyouthsports.com
              www.300hitter.com
              www.bigjk.net
              How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

• judavvforum
                Major

• Nov 2007

puzzled
                I've never used this, but I believe it is what you are referring to.

insert>extra>menu bar. Then double click the element box that was just created in order to get into the properties. There you'll see(on the right side of the properties box), the options to "Add", "Edit", "Remove", & "Insert Split".

Click "Add". You will get a window that asks you to name the first link that you are putting into the menu bar. We'll call it "item1". You can give this link info or leave blank. It will be the item shown when published or previewed.

Now highlight "item1" and click "add". This will add "item2" as a sub item under item1. Highlight "item1 again & click "add". This puts "item3" as a sub item under "item1", etc.

Wgen you preview it will display "item1" and when you mouseover "item1", "item2" & "item3" are displayed. All these items can be linked to other pages or other websites.

Hope this is what you were looking for, if not just let us know. However...since this thread belongs to Javid; please don't stray from this subject. Start your own thread if you have other questions.

Comment

• puzzled
                  Corporal

• Jul 2008

The tutorial are great for the basic. i have tried all of the different bars such as navigation,sliding,tab,texting, menu etc. The menu and slide bar has a drop down feature but you cant change the way the button looks. i like how the navigation button looks like, plus you can have the color change when you roll over it etc. the only thing is navigation does not seem to have the drop down feature. this is what i want to know. how do you make the navigation have a drop down bar like the menu bar? thanks
                  Last edited by puzzled; 07-09-2008, 11:00 AM. Reason: to make it clearer

Comment

Working...
                  X