• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gabor
    Captain

• Feb 2008

Old text re-inserts. Cache?

Hi Everybody,

I created a simple text page, it's a story. Copied original text from my word files directly into a text-frame, it worked fine. (Except that it auto-formats itself from double space to single space which I don't want).

The PROBLEM came when I realized that this was a draft text.
    I cut it.
    Copied the correct text.
    WHEN I SAVE THE NEW PAGE, THE OLD TEXT REPLACES THE NEW ONE every single time.

I deleted the pages from my BV files, also deleted from my public_html.
    Started with a blank, new process. Same old story. No matter what I do, the old text re-inserts itself, replacing the new one every time I save the page - under any name.

Help, please.

Thanks.

Gabor

(If the advice is to empty the cache, please also say how...)
    www.gabor-music.com
  • Tom vR
    Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Re: Old text re-inserts. Cache?

Hi,
    Single spacing is the standard html spacing. There is no BV command to space differently.

Regarding the old text replacing the new text, you said you are saving it. What exactly do you mean by new text? Is it new formatting, new color, or is it brand new (diffrent) texts (words)?
    Bless you
    Tom

Comment

• gabor
      Captain

• Feb 2008

Thanks, Tom.

The first version was a draft - with mistakes (lotsa).
      I wanted to replace it with the clear version. (The text, however remains similar).

It's a completely new page now, with the new text attempted copied into it - then save - that's when the old text jumps in, replacing the new one.

I erased-deleted all previous pages - from everywhere, but, perhaps the cache?
      www.gabor-music.com

Comment

• Tom vR
        Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Is the text replaced in the BV page or does this happen after you have published the page to the server? The cache is only applicable when viewing on an internet browser.
        Bless you
        Tom

Comment

• gabor
          Captain

• Feb 2008

Hi, Tom.

The sh.t happens in the BV page - when I hit the "Save as" button. Then the old text overtakes the new one. I don't get to publishing it.

I did, however, publish the old text. But then I deleted it from everywhere, when started to create the new page.

Right now I'm working with a "virgin" page - the problem persists.
          I think the old text is saved somewhere (?)
          www.gabor-music.com

Comment

• Tom vR
            Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Okay, try this:
            Say for example the old bv page (file) name is gabor.bvp. You now want to design a new page and also want to name that gabor.bvp. (note that the .bvp is only visable in windows explorer/browser. Do not type the .bvp when saving the page).

First rename the old page to gaborold, then open it. Start a new page and copy text from old page as required. Now save the new page as gabor.

Let's first try this. If that does not work for you, then please explain in detail (step-by-step) how your are going about saving the new and old page. Then we will get to the bottom of it.
            Bless you
            Tom

Comment

• gabor
              Captain

• Feb 2008

Tom,

I've already deleted ALL TRACES (known to me...) of the old page (and text) and started blank new.
              (Do still suggest the above procedure?)

One thing I noticed. After I copied the new text to the new page, (named totally different) I opened the HTML, and sure, there is the OLD TEXT embedded there.
              I delete, copy the NEW TEXT in its palce - it reverts to the old one, right away. Maybe this helps?
              www.gabor-music.com

Comment

• Tom vR
                Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Are you previewing the page? If so, Press F5 a few times to clear the cache.
                Bless you
                Tom

Comment

• gabor
                  Captain

• Feb 2008

As soon as I go to preview, the old text pops in. I cleared the cache.
                  No progress.

What about the HTML/embed? I think the old text has somehow invaded it and won't budge...

I'm willing to delete the old text (draft) from its original location. Would it help? (It's even on a different disk, external harddisk).
                  www.gabor-music.com

Comment

• Tom vR
                    Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

One more try. With the new page open and active, press Ctrl+A to select everything. Now press Ctrl+X to cut everything. Now click the Paste button on the BlueVoda toolbar (no other paste option) to paste everything back into place.

Preview again.
                    Bless you
                    Tom

Comment

• gabor
                      Captain

• Feb 2008

Did it. No cigar.

Theory Some program / memory identifies the old text as superior to the new one and "corrects" the new one by turning it into the old... This appears to be logical from a computer.

(The actual difference between the two texts is accent marks on ceratin vowels. Like, in Hungarian, in the old text I left the letter Ő as O - then later re-wrote it in the correct form. That's the new text.)

So, how can I expurge the old text...

Or give up?
                      www.gabor-music.com

Comment

• Tom vR
                        Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

How did you type/insert the Ő?
                        Bless you
                        Tom

Comment

• Tom vR
                          Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

The Ő is not recognised by BV. Right-click the page and select Page Properties. Then select the character set for your language. I'm not sure what it is. Do a search on top of the forum. But I think you must also set something on your PC's control panel.

I will have a look....(can only work for few more minutes, the have to go).
                          Bless you
                          Tom

Comment

• Tom vR
                            Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Have a look at this. Click here.
                            Bless you
                            Tom

Comment

• gabor
                              Captain

• Feb 2008

Tom.
                              Thanks to your valiant efforts the puzzle is solved... (Or so it seems).
                              As you got nearer and nearer to the proverbial head of the nail, you got it pretty musch down in the end.

So, it wasn't the old text re-appearing, it was BV re-formatting the new text without Ő-s...

The thing is, that - as you see - my computer is set also for Hungarian (my whole site runs parallell / mirrored in Hungarian).
                              Now. I can type all those Hungarian characters, no problem. I wrote pages and it stays and is OK. But. Copying over Hungarian text (with Ő-s and such) seems too much - BV won't accept it. Hey, it can't do EVERYTHING!

(I've experimented with page-properties settings, but to no avail. I believe copying text with foreign characters won't work. Got to learn to live with that.)

So, at this pont my only option seems to be copying up the text and just typing in the Ő-s... (Like this. For that one Ő /2.../ I just switched over to Hungarian. And now, back). (When I work in Hungarian I stay in that setting).

This will give me some light activity for a few months... Ten minutes a day? Eventually it will be done.

I don't know how to thank you for your efforts, Tom.
                              But, will BLESS YOU, TOM! do?

Thanks again,

Gabor
                              www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Working...
                              X