• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leethesign
    Second Lieutenant

• Aug 2008

Pdf

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this question is in the right place, but if not please moderate it to somewhere else and accept my apologies.

Here goes....

I publish a little magazine and have been asked several times to have it available for download, so I saved it as a PDF and linked from my site to it, and that's fine it works, BUT it takes forever to download because it's such a massive file - even zipped it's 78.7 Mb.
    It seems the only way to overcome this is to have it available to read on-line instead, rather than for download...... could anyone explain how I can achieve this.
    D'you know, the more I do with this web site thingy, the more I realise how little I know!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

www.baywatchspain.com
    Casita Limonares
    Bay Watch Spain
  • Tom Finley
    Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Re: Pdf

Lee, you can cut the pdf size down quite a bit; your pages should be consideably less than 1 meg each. To do so, when you export to pdf from whatever program you're using to create your magazine, choose the "web or email" (or similar) instead of the "300dpi" or what have you. Note that the email/web quality is not the same as "96dpi," the lowest quality. A page printed with the email/web quality is almost exactly the same quality as the high-rez quality.

Tom
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• leethesign
      Second Lieutenant

• Aug 2008

Hi Tom

Thanks for that tip, but no can do - there's no facility in the prog I'm using ( QuarkExpress) to do that - that is unless you know different! I certainly can't find any way of doing it.
      Casita Limonares
      Bay Watch Spain

Comment

• davidundalicia
        General

• Mar 2006

A LITTLE magazine you say.........................lol
        Your best bet has already been suggested.

Consider splitting up the magazine into weekly or monthly parts and create several smaller pdf files which the user can then choose to download.

If each pdf link has a small description, then that will also be good for the search engines.
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
        Newbies / Beginners Forum
        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• leethesign
          Second Lieutenant

• Aug 2008

Well, little in terms of earning!

Actually, I've done some digging around in the software, and I've managed to save it as a PDF a little bit smaller - acksherly it's about 7 1/2 KB now, so it downloads quickly.

So there we go - yet another snaggette sorted. It's amazing how, with enough time to prat about, you can find solutions to these problems. Mind you, without all you lot in Bluevoda land, I'd never have got anywhere, so, once again, thanks a bunch to you all.

Okay, back to work - the next edition's off to the printers this morning and I've got about 3 hours to finish off 20 hours of work!

Pass the coffee.....................
          Casita Limonares
          Bay Watch Spain

Comment

Working...
          X