Copy to new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy to new PC

Hi. Can anyone tell me the best way to copy my files to a new PC just purchased. Have three web sites and do not want to lose anything.

Re: Copy to new PC

From the old PC copy all the files and images to a USB stick or CD-R or something. On your new PC paste them back in the same folder.

What you may find is when you open BV and open a file, the images may appear lost. Just systematically double click them and re-insert them from their new location.

The reason you do this is because the original path to that image have changed. If you are clever and can work out the exact path on your old PC and create an Identical path on your new one then you won't have to.

But I wouldn't personally get bogged down in all that, just reinsert them as I said...much easier.
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

I would test this first

I have saved all files to a DVD and loaded on a new pc and when you open a page none of your pics will be on your pages when you open them. You will have to redo them.

Im sure there is a way to ger around this if you are an IT guy but for the average joe it is going to be a real pain.

Get you new pc or whatever your are doing, copy your files over and wait till you have everything the way you want it before you get ride of old pc or you may find yourself in a world of hurt if you can not find a picture or any file that is missing on a page when you open it.

Everything is a learning experience. If you do not have all your pictures and stuff organized well you will regret it. It may even be wise to have a folder/file for every page when you design a website so when or if you transfer to another computer you can find all the documents for Page "A" if file "A-documents"

Just an example. Organization is everything.

Comment

The path C:/MyDocuments/BlueVoda....

has to be exactly the same.

If your new OS is Vista or Win7, it will not work.
        www.siapamoyanganda.com/
        Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
        State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
        X