This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guestbook on my homepage

I want to add a Guestbook to my homepage. I have used the function Guestbook. If I put the guestbook function on a new page, then it works fine and comments can be added. But I want to have the guestbook integrated as a part on a page with my profile (like Form properties). I cannot find how to do that.

If I change the File Extension under Page Properties to HTML the guestbook works but all other info like logo, buttons, etc is not shown. The Guestbook layout is over the whole page.

When changing the File Extension under Page Properties to PHP I see the layout of my profile but the guestbook is only shown as a blank, white area on the page.

I have also changed the permissions to 777 for the guestbookdb.php

What am I doing wrong?

Re: Guestbook on my homepage

Originally posted by Redtabman View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    1. Most of us have abandoned using Guestbook due to the proclivity for abuse by Visitors and being nothing but a depository for Spam and an open door to Hack Attacks.
    2. It is expected that you provide a URL to the website in question as outlined in and required by Forum protocol 'How To Ask For Assistance' so your issue can be reviewed properly to determine the specific solution.
    3. Without the ability to actually see what you have done to try and figure out what you are trying to do, it is impossible to accurately decipher your situation from your use of Terms and description of functions ("integrating as in Form properties" does not make sense nor is an approved method, etc.).
    4. Using the Guestbook as featured in Blue Voda is not as preferred as installing Guerstbook via Fantastico! (which does so automatically and without configurations error). However, it is still a Guestbook, and prone to the vulnerabilities mentioned. It is much better to use the Fantastico! installation, or better yet a Wordpress foundation that provides a cleaner management of Users, comments, and registration permissions. This can also be done using Wordpress via iFrame on your Blue Voda page, combining the best features without compromising on web page design. Or, do a Google search to find a Blog script you can paste into a BV HTML Box to create athe better blog feature on your page with a generic display to seamlessly become part of your BV pages.

It's up to you, really ....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hello!

Thank you for your answer. As I have not been asking for too much help from Voda Host before I’m not too used to all the techniques here. I have followed the instructions in the Tutorial Video for the Guestbook and the Extra information below that video. It clearly says:

Extra instructions:
      1. Upload 'guestbookdb.php' on your server using BlueFTP.
      2. Change the permissions of 'guestbookdb.php' to 777 otherwise you won't be able to write data.

You can use the FTP Manager add-on (BlueFTP) to upload and change permissions of the 'guestbookdb.php' file.
      a) Login to the FTP server of your website using the BlueFTP.
      b) Browse to the folder where you've published the guestbook.
      c) Upload 'guestbookdb.php'
      d) Select the file and use Properties to set the permissions to 755
      You only have to do this once.

When you post a new thread is says nothing about giving an URL to the page but I do understand it makes it simpler. My homepage is http://www.bedbreakfaststockholm.com/homeenglish.html and the page I’m trying to integrate to my profile is http://www.bedbreakfaststockholm.com/guestbook.php

Thank you in advance

Stefan

Comment

You could try to pop a BV in line frame on the page & have your guest book as the opening iframe page. You can adjust it to size then. Alternately is have a link on all pages to a pop up with the guest book on.
        But! ditto with the last comments with the BV guest book, it needs added security.
        I use this one as it has the facility of letting me approve all comments before they are posted on the web. (But its not a freebie & its worth buying more than one script from them)

PS. You also need to use the BV centre in browser facility & bring your page down to a smaller 950-1000 width to remove the side scroll some will experience.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

OK, Stefan .... HOWEVER you installed your Guestbook, it IS up and running, albeit looking as if you still have some customization to do to match complimentary colors and so on. So let's get you able to use it.

I take it you want your page to look something like this??

If so, it is done by using a combination of simple Blue Voda techniques:

1. In a "blank" page template (with the body of the page free and clear of content, with only the header, sidebar, and other essential elements on your page like navigation, etc.), use the BV commands from the Toolbar INSERT > ADVANCED > INLINE FRAME

2. Double-click on the iFrame to open the Dialog/Properties, and paste in the URL http://www.bedbreakfaststockholm.com/guestbook.php

3. In Properties still, click to configure border (change width, set color)

4. Set Scrollbar, selecting from "Always," "Whenever Needed," or "Never" remembering that they will inherit STYLE from the scrollbar settings configured for the page in PAGE PROPERTIES (they will have the same colors and setup as whatever you configured for scrollbars for the Page upon which your iFrame has been set.
          *Since your Guestbook will no doubt have many entries, you will want to set your scrollbars with the ability to present all posts without being "cut off" so use the "Whenever Needed" or "Always" setting.

5. Click OK to Exit Properties Dialog

6. Open PAGE PROPERTIES > GENERAL tab > CENTER IN BROWSER > select "Center in Browser Horizontally" and then Exit.

7. Re-Size the outlined iFrame on your page, positioning it as desired, careful to not exceed your page margins or to look awkward under your Header/Logo.

8. SAVE the page.

9. PUBLISH the page.

I noticed that Guestbook now has an anti-bot submission tool, which will prevent automated submissions but not entirely prevent actual persons from stuffing spam onto your Guestbook: means you will need to regularly monitor it and administrate things to keep it clean.

If you have any difficulties, simply post them here and we can move forward with further solutions.
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thank you very much for all your help with my Guestbook. It is working fine.

When seeeing the Blue Voda video for making a Guestbook I do not think it has much to show about how to make a guestbook. All the info how to change fonts and colours are so basic. I would prefer to have the information I got here instead. So much less frustration how to do!

Thanks

Stefan

Comment

Hm.... Actually, placing the guestbook object in the index (or whatever else) page creates the Iframe and does all the rest.
              And, if you wish, you can simply change the php script filename (so there is no conflict between the page name and the script name) and that's all.
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
              X