New kid on the block.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kid on the block.

Okay, All you computer wizes out there. If you can teach me, you can teach anyone. All this computer stuff is Greek to me, but I want to learn, and want to publish my own website. I am a writer, and up until about three years ago, I still used a typewriter. So, that let's you know where I'm coming from. In the box above this window they request not to open multiple duplicate threads or spam this forum. Don't even know what all that means. I don't want to duplicate or spam anything. At any rate, if this message gets on the forum thingy, I'll probably be on everyday asking questions about how to create my own website. From what I read BlueVoda is a good package, however, when they stated that a person could create a website in less than an hour, they didn't know about me. They'd better redo their ad. I hope someone can help me, as I have a lot of questions. Who's up for the challenge? misterb

Re: New kid on the block.

Welcome Misterb,
    First of all, you must be hosting with VodaHost before you can use BlueVoda. (Maybe you did subscribe; I don't know; forgive me if you did).
    Secondly: Watch all the tutorials and learn as much as you can. Click here and here.
    Thirdly: Study this thread for some guidelines. Click here.
    Fourthly: Search or browse these different forums for some ideas / tips.
    Lastly: When you get stuck, ask your questions with new threads posted in the correct forum room.
    Good luck.
    Bless you
    Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom, obviously I did not get on the right chat or information site. I couldn't even find the message I had sent, as there are hundreds out there. It was just a fluke I did. At any rate, no I am not hosting with any company, though it looks like BlueVoda is the route to go. I thought I could get my web page all set up first, then join up. That's not the case, I take it. Imagine me as a person who went into a coma for the last ten years. I heard about computers, but know nothing, or next to it about them. Perhaps you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Take care. Barry.

Comment

I'll like to design a website of my own, but I don't know where to start from. I'll like to know the steps involved and how to go about it.

Warm regards,

Micolo1

Comment

Hi misterb
          and welcome to Bluevoda, the easiest builder available.

To answer your question:
          I thought I could get my web page all set up first, then join up. That's not the case, I take it.

Yes you can design your website first, then when you are happy
          with it or you think you have mastered the basics you can then
          set up an account with Voda.

You will find everything quiet simple and anything you are not sure of
          just pop back in here and fire away with your questions, there are
          lots of very talented and eager to help people here.

Play around with the builder, you can not do anything wrong,
          trial and error are the best learning tool and good luck but most
          of all have fun and enjoy the experience

Barry
          Australia

Comment

Hi Barry, (Okay MisterB as there are 2 Barry's on this thread now)

Everybody has to start somewhere, lol. As Barry from Australie said above, BV is quite easy to use. Yes you can design your pages before you subscribe. You can preview each page individually, but you will not be able to use the links while in preview.
            What I actually ment before, you cannot host somewhere else then VH.

Good luck and I hope to see you website soon.
            Bless you
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by micolo1 View Post
              I'll like to design a website of my own, but I don't know where to start from. I'll like to know the steps involved and how to go about it.

Warm regards,

Micolo1
              Hi Micolo1,

Welcome to BV. The same applies to you. First go through the links I gave Barry in post 2 and learn as much as you can. Play with BV, designing something, experimenting as you learn. Preview the page and see how it looks.

Good luck.
              Bless you
              Tom

Comment

G'day mates, (Barry from down under, and TomvR from almost down under) I'll stick with misterb to avoid confusion. Thanks for advice from both. I did not know I had to be on internet to use links. Good thing you told me Tom or I would have been wasting my time trying. Okay, first off, a couple of the many questions I'll be asking. Using this forum, to communicate, how do I find responses to my questions later on. Let me eplain. Now, when I post something, I look under, 'new posts'. But what if I don't get online for a day or two, and in the meantime, there are hundreds of other postings. How do I find mine? Also can I use both BludVoda site builder, and Soholaunch, combined, to make a web page, or do I have to use one or the other? Which one is better? Thanks in advance, and be prepared for lots of questions in the near future. Misterb.

Comment

Hi misterB,
                  Okay, some tips to use the forum:
                  1. Also open the Quick Links menu above and select Today's Posts. But as you mentioned, you may fall off the current list if you do not log in for a day or so. For that reason -
                  2. Open Quick Links menu and select Subscribed Threads. All your threads and posts you participated in will be listed.
                  3. Just remember to post your questions in the appropriate forum.

Regarding your question about BlueVoda and Soho, Click here, and here, and here. If you need more, Click Search above, type Blue Voda and Soho in the Search field and click Go. You will find many answers to this questions being asked plenty of times.
                  Bless you
                  Tom

Comment

Hi mrb,

Up at the top of this page you will see usercp. Open it up.
                    Under Subscribed Threads > List Subscriptions will show all threads you have subscribed to (participated in).
                    The Forum Jump at the bottom of the page > Subscriptions will do the same thing.
                    Finally: Under Edit Options (Up on the left again) If you click See Receive EMail you may have notification of any new post to a thread you are subscribed to emailed to you.

Hope this helps.
                    Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Thanks TomvR and Sedona,

For your latest info and advice. It's starting to fall into place, albeit, very slowly. Again, in case you missed it, I am a novice, to say the least. My first computer was an Etch-a-sketch glued to the top of my typewriter. (Don't try that, it doesn't work.) I have various books on computer terminology and things of that nature, however, as on this site, things are explained in computer speak, and I have to keep referring. A necessary I suppose. Okay, now for more questions: How is a site made secure? Meaning, when someone goes to your site, you have a notice that the site is secure and safe. How do you do that? Also, once I publish my web site, and want to make changes or correct errors, can I pull it off the www, and redo it, or is that Stars Wars technology? Thanks to anyone who can help. Rest assured, I'll keep the questions coming. Misterb.

Comment

How do you do that? Also, once I publish my web site, and want to make changes or correct errors, can I pull it off the www, and redo it
                        ========================

Once your site is published it is automatically on the WWW.

To make or correct anything on the published site simply go
                        to your bluevoda builder and click on "FILE" (top left corner of page)
                        then click "open Page" you then go to where you saved your site and
                        then click on the file.

Your site will then opn in the builder and you can make any changes
                        or additions you want.
                        When done click on "FILE" then on "Save Page", this will save your changes ( no need to rename the page).

Click on "Publish" and it will publish your page to your server and
                        overwrite the original page of the same name.

There.... your changes are made and are now back on the WWW.

Hope this helps
                        Barry
                        Australia

Comment

we were ALL BEGINNERS at some point in time. It's only thru asking questions and persisting that I learned how to build anything. Both of you are lucky to be starting now, Blue Voda makes life as a sitebuilder easy... when web building first started it was a little exclusive, now there's oh-so-easy tutorials available to walk people thru the steps...as well as support from the forum group. Will be great to be with you during the process.
                          www.madinmelbourne.com.au
                          the ART of Making A Difference

Comment

Hello Misterb

I am a writer as well. Good thing that you are because you're likely to be good at research :) (helps when putting a website together for the first time!)

Since you're asking about Soholaunch and how to make a site secure - I'm assuming you're thinking of having some kind of sales on your site?
                            I have played with Soholaunch before but never did anything with it - so I can't help you much with that.

I'm not sure but I *think* Soholaunch has to be installed into the root directory of a domain. Hopefully someone else can help you out here - as to whether you can install it into a subdomain, or have subdomains built with blue voda on your Soholaunch site.

There's a Soholaunch forum on here if that's the way you're headed :)

Comment

Hello, i am new to this but it looks like i can do it but i have ?
                              open source, i want to be able to go into, web page open source and change
                              things, i like to have a box that dose this so when its on the web, people can go into the source and change things in that box, is this possible, and what
                              do i need to go at this, thanks ahead

Comment

Working...
                              X