Glossary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossary

I'm very new to this website building stuff - as will probably be apparent when you read this -but I feel that for new kids on the block a great help would be a Glossary of technical type terms.

There are many things that I don't really understand, although to the experienced they may seem obvioous.

For example....talk about HTML codes, usually followed by a long list of numbers and letters...what's all that about?
    Flash...what exactly is it and how does it apply to a site?
    A Sitemap....what's that
    A Crawler.....ditto

You get the picture? Although some of these things may be obvious to many, I'm sure others get confused.

"A question isn't stupid if you don't know the answer" anon
    Casita Limonares
    Bay Watch Spain

Re: Glossary

Great Idea..............
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Comment

We try to keep things simple but I must admit that I have used certain terms in the past which made people post again...............

For a quicker understanding, it would be advisable to enter any unknow word or sentence into the search box at the top of every page......this will normally throw up many threads where you should get the jist of what we talk about sometimes.............

Nothing helps like helping yourself and in this respect you could always use google (a search engine) which will always give you a better understanding of most technical and non technical terms............
      Have fun
      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
      Newbies / Beginners Forum
      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

David,
        Wouldn't this be a worth while project that all members of BV could have input?
        Just think how quickly it could go if 20-30 members would post 5-10 terms that are commonly used but most new BV users don't understand.
        Sure, most new folks (myself included a few years ago) don't take advantage of existing tutorials.
        Still this could be another topic on the forum. One place to go for a quick explanation.
        I would be willing to do the work of compiling the data. However, in 5 days I will be on vacation for a few weeks.
        Worth it or not?
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

It seems to me(having been away for the last year)
          that people are asking and Not looking(tutorials,searchbox,forum rules etc) but having a seperate forum seems like a good idea, at least we can then display yet another link for them.............

Go for it...............every little helps.........
          Have fun
          Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
          Newbies / Beginners Forum
          FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
          My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
          Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

David has the right idea (in his observation) that people are unwilling to perform the minimal efforts to help themselves amidst the many resources already available: Forum Search, Tutorials, etc.

There already is a "plainly written" Internet Glossary our fellows can access within VodaLand, and a comprehensive Knowledgebase complete with links that remains a powerful well from which to draw from .... providing you can get people to the well at all.

So, in this instance, Terry, it is more a matter of making access more obvious than duplicating what already is!
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Absolutely Vasili! Everything is right there already. To make this more obvious I have included the glossary in my signature.
              Possibly others could do the same?
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

Well, that's me told!

However, two of the three things I mentioned as examples in my original post are not included. Obviously, it would be a mammoth task to include every single thing, but could the glossary not be able to be updated by request when one comes across something that one doesn't understand?

Just a thought
                Casita Limonares
                Bay Watch Spain

Comment

The Glossary is as plain as it should be, despite the current idioms and casual references, as it must remain "universal" if to bring people "up" to par without 'handicapping' their future progress. Understand?

There really is no such thing as a "crawler" .... but BOTS do crawl, and sometimes they even slurp!
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                  X