• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zzzmuzz
    First Sergeant

• Dec 2007

Redirect to mobiles

Recently I rebuilt one of my sites and put it on a new domain name. I set up a redirect in CPanel from oldsite.com > newsite.com

That seems to have worked well, except for mobiles. I amfrequently being alerted by Google of 401 errors to mobiles.
    Is there a separate redirect of some kind needed for mobile devices?

(The site is built on Wordpress)
    Cheers,
    Muzz
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Redirect to mobiles

1. Remove all "re-directs" and instead FORWARD the Domain to another. This removes any values attributed to the Domain now being Forwarded, and will not create a conflict when using a "DnD" script (as explained in the referenced thread below).

2. Carefully review the following to understand the Method, Process, and Technical details regarding integrating a Mobile-Viewable website (for Smartphones in particular, not Tablets or other fully featured devices) with your BlueVoda website >> http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...blue-voda.html

It's all there for you to use to get the amazing results you are looking for!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• zzzmuzz
      First Sergeant

• Dec 2007

How to Forward (not redirect) one domain to another

Previous thread and answer is here: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...t-mobiles.html. Thanks for that but I need more.

Both this answer and another one I found on the forum still didn't explain how to forward a domain, rather than redirect it.

I want to set it up so that the each post/page forwards to the equivalent new domain post/page; if it does not exist it forwards to the homepage.
      Cheers,
      Muzz

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: How to Forward (not redirect) one domain to another

Having each post/page forward to "the equivalent new domain post/page" is illogical. IMO. Not only is it completely redundant (essentially why do this if you wish to "consolidate" Domains, as the SE's will attribute negative valuations on both Domains, essentially deeming them "duplicate websites"), it does not satisfy anything on the Visitor side really at all: even if you think they are set in their ways to always go to the "old" Domain first, even with it being FORWARDED to the "new" one seamlessly without any extra effort by them serves the same purpose --- they arrive in the same look, same feel, same setup website only with a different name.

Leaving two Domains interacting as you intend will be detrimental to both websites, risking both Domains to severe and mostly irreversable penalization.

The best thing is to "retire" the first domain as you mention completely simply by Forwarding it to the new, thus removing any "values" (as no pages are accessible with any Content on them, there is no violation) and serving visitors best by providing a clean, compliant method of arriving at "the" website they are familiar with.

You FORWARD A DOMAIN via the Domain Manager/Control Panel provided by the Domain Registrar (where you purchased the Domain, or have it currently: i.e. Go Daddy, eNom via VodaHost, etc. ). It is not something you do in your Hosting cPanel .... more.

Secondly, you missed the entire point of creating a distinctly different Mobi website strictly for mobile phones .... if you think that you can "integrate" the one website that "looks good" on phones into the other website in order to keep both synchronized and up-to-date, you are going about it the wrong way and not thinking within standard web design parameters. You should understand that Phones alone have particular parameters, such as a specifically lighter browser functionality, display configurations, etc. This totaly predicates a specifically designed "web experience" and thus the Mobi platform (and Domain Extension). This is also why the DnD script exists -- to automatically detect if the Visitor device is a phone or not, and if a phone, automatically forwards to the Mobi site.

So .... as far as I can tell, you need to: 1. go out and purchase "YourSiteName.mobi" Domain; 2. design a specific website (using BlueVoda) sized and specifically functionalized for Phones; 3. FORWARD one "old" Domain to a new one (after removing all re-directs on the old); install the DnD Script on the "new" single website so it will deliver Phone Visitors to the Mobi website seamlessly.

OR ... since we are talking about Wordpress sites, simply go search online for a free "responsive" theme you can upgrade to, as all "responsive" themes automatically re-size and format themselves to whatever the requirements of the device calls for (basically, for phones it transforms into a single-column scrollable page). The you can simply go ahead and Forward that Domain into the "new" Domain that is fully viewable by everyone.
        It may be even more difficult than doing all the rest, as we tend to get very comfortable with the look and feel of themes, and become reluctant to change themes altogether. Don't worry .... visitors really don't mind progress and visual evolution (it speaks volumes on your leadership) but they do not favor "devolution" at all.

This is the only way to do it, Muzz ....
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• zzzmuzz
          First Sergeant

• Dec 2007

Re: Redirect to mobiles

Thanks for your full explanation,as soon as I read your response about forwarding being done at domain level, it was immediately obvious to me. I know exactly what to do and will remove the redirect from Cpanel and do the forwarding from Registrar.

My comment about page to page would have been someone writing about redirects...the forwarding is much cleaner and the obvious solution for what I want.

I am using the Flexsqueeze 1.5 theme, but have also been a tester for the new responsive Flexsqueeze 2.0 theme and using the prerelease version on another site. I can do the upgrade easily.

thanks again, your response will no doubt also be useful to others.
          Cheers,
          Muzz

Comment

Working...
          X