adding.....a text trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding.....a text trail

Sorry I dont know what its really called.

I am wanting to add somthing I often see on many easly navigable website...its on this forum in the top menu bar:

Web Hosting > VodaHost Web Hosting Support > General Support Issues

there are many way to get to the same location on my site and I want the user to be able to find their way back where they have come from easly (other than the back button).

Is this an easy option or is it more advanced??? Oh and whats its real name?

Re: adding.....a text trail

it's called Breadcrumbs ( don't ask ) you can get it here, Breadcrumb comes in three parts a js file, the link to the js file which goes in the head of the page. and a code that goes on to the page it's self
    Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Thanks alien dude.

Two more qestions now now...hope you dont mind.
      Ive gone to the page selected source code then there are 4 files (external file, CSS, head, body) Do I copy CSS, head and body all into one HTML box in bluevoda and where do I put that box....does it matter????

In the link the site creator is using tabs to make it a more efficent system, do you know where I could get that code from?
      Many thanks.

Comment

External file: you need to save the code as autoBreadcrumbs.js and upload it in your site

CSS: you need to add this in your HEAD section. Of course you will need to add the opening and closing tags:

<style type="text/css">
        .topnav {
        font-size: 0.8em;
        color: #000;
        background-color: #FFCF29;
        border: 1px #00009C solid;
        padding: 0.5em;
        }

</style>

Head Part: Goes anyway in the <HEAD> section

Body: goes in a HTML box, in the position where it should appear.

Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I have taken so long to reply because I didnt really understand the answer (now im a little more comptentent....but not much). So two more questions RE: this subject.

1. why do I need to save the autoBreadcrumbs code?
          2. You say I also need to add opening and closing tags.....isnt
          <style> and </style> that? they are already there

This HTML thing really confuses me. I keep popping onto w3school.com but dont feel like im picking much up.

Comment

Why not make it a series of text links with the added bonus that SE's can read text links and do not read javascript links.
            here > there > anywhere
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi
            Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

Sorry 'bout that. That is probably not the info you needed to solve your problem.
              navaldesign always has the correct info.
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi
              Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

I added the tags, that's why they exist.
                If you copied the code from the javascript.internet.com site, then you need to paste the copied code in Notepad, save the file and upload it, UNLESS you have already downloaded it as file in which case you only need to upload it.
                Navaldesign
                Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                X