Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• site looks different

Hello all!,
    Yesterday I was at my local bank asking about their art space. The woman I was talking to pulled my site up on her computer and for some reason it was a mess! The graphics were out of place and it looked terrible! When I got home and went to my site it looked fine again. I also checked it in my website builder and it looks fine. Why did it look so bad on that computer? It looked as though I made lots of sloppy mistakes. I hope someone can tell me the reason for that and if there is anything I can do so that won't happen again. I was really embarrassed.
    Thanks!!

Re: site looks different

Hi Elena,
    I've just had a look at your home page and it didn't look right to me either. Some of the blue text was overlapping other text in a couple of different places. I don't know why but I provide the following information so that it may help you get it sorted: I'm viewing in Netscape 8.1 (based on Firefox) and rendered to display like internet explorer. My monitor is 17".

Good luck.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Your site look ok to me the below is a screen shoot of what I see...The problem is that you have a page width of over 950
      anybody on anything less than a 17 screen will see your site as distorted...Redesign your page and make it a max width
      of 750.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

thanks, I'll try making it smaller and let u know what happens...

Comment

site looks different (again)

Hello,
          I posted earlier about my site pages looking different on another computer. It was suggested that I redo my page to a width of 750 because it will look garbled on a screen smaller than 17 in. I just realized that my screen is 12 inches and there isn't a slide bar on the bottom when I look at my site. One response said that it looks good, another said the words were on top of each other. When I looked at my site on my friend's computer the words weren't on top of each other but the stars I use for the pay-pal were not in place. They were on top of the words or away from the sentences completely. Just plain misplaced. There wasn't a slide on the bottom of her screen either so the whole frame fit on hers too. Another friend said that he uses Netscape instead of internet explorer and my site was a mess on that engine. I didn't realize there were so many differences. What can I do to make things look right on all engines and other computers? If it looks good to me and on my computer how do I know what to fix? I'm stumped!

Comment

Re: site looks different (again)

This is a common problem and is easy to fix. People see the page differently because they have there monitor set to different screen resolution. The typical resolution is 1024 x 768. People who have their resolution set lower than that, like 800 x 600, will see the pages all "jumbled up." To change the resolution on a computer:
            1. Right click on the desktop.
            2. Click Properties
            3. Click the Setting tab.
            4. Change your screen resolution to 1024 x 768.
            To make sure your visitors are seeing the pages correctly, add some text that says: This Site is Best Viewed with a 1024 x 768 Screen Resolution.
            I hope this helps you.
            Glad I could help.

Thanks!
            - Gray
            The Eagle Radio! Playing the Best Hits From Rock to Oldies!

Click Here to Tune In Using Winamp Player!

Click Here to Tune in Using Real Player!

Comment

Re: site looks different (again)

Wow, thanks Gray, My screen is set to the recommended amount now all I have to do is put up a post on my front page.

Comment

Just realize, most people won't change their resolution - which is why it's recommended to build sites that will look good in most of them. Scrolling a little bit for someone at 800x600 might be acceptable, but overlapping text won't be.

There is NO recommended amount - every person uses what they prefer for whatever reason they prefer. Just as sites might be seen different on Firefox than on IE - you could recommend someone view with IE, but if they are Firefox believers, chances are they won't change that either.

And, your bank, probably has no choice what resolution their screens are set on.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                X