Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(1) how to link 2-line menu titles? (2) dictonary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (1) how to link 2-line menu titles? (2) dictonary?

I have two questions: (1) how to link 2-line menu titles? (2) dictonary?

(1) Because I needed some long text (two lines) for my menu buttons that I run vertically down the left side of my website (www.gordonpatzer.com) I used (a) insert, (b) extra, (c) menu bar. That worked good however I cannot get my two lines of text within an individual menu button to be one and the same click. Someway I need to connect the two lines together so when the cursor hovers over one of the two lines, both lines look to be one line. How would I do this?

(2) Is there a glossary/dictionary somewhere within in VodaHost or BlueVoda? The following link is not what I mean: http://support.vodahost.com/index.ph... eid=62&nav=0
    What I am looking for is like a dictionary which would give a definition of, for example, each of the icons along the left side of my BlueVoda website builder: "go menu," "lightbox," "guest book," "plug-in," "OLE." "Insert Layer," and so forth. I have watched all the tutorials and many of these of left side of page icons are discussed but not all of them and I would like to be able to go to a dictionary to learn what each one does and if I may or may not have use for which ones to enhance my website.

Thank you.

gordon787

Re: (1) how to link 2-line menu titles? (2) dictonary?

Hi Gordon,

My first thought is how about using shapes as your "buttons", and use text boxes over them, and hyperlink the text to your pages. It is basically what you are doing to begin with, and that way your text can be as long as you want, and be "connected" as a link . It should appear the same, or better!

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Take a look here, the link does work.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion about using shapes for my buttons--I am very new to this and I think/thought that is what I did with the "rounded corner rectangle" shape.

Thank you greatly for your link example, which, as you stated, works, however, I discovered in the past that some users want to click on the surrounding button to go the link and some people want to click on the text. Currently on my website I have either the text or the button working with a click.

Again, thank you greatly and I'll give a try what you've stated in reply to my query.

gordon787

Comment

gordon, another thing you can do is put a transparant shape over your 2line button, and then link the shape as you did the button. That way, wherever your users click it will work
          Liz
          www.sebastopolparty.com
          www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Mwalsh62,

Now as I have just tried your great advice, I remember why I had earlier abandoned attempt to create my menu buttons this way. My problem is that when I hyperlink the menu buttons text, I get the change of color combined with underscoring--which is precisely what I want in my hyperlinked items within the text of my website but not in my menu buttons. And, if I try to change the hyperlink style then it changes the hyperlink style for all uses within the website. So, I guess at the moment I am still back looking for a solution for my:

(a) two-line menu titles without the look of hyperlink style that underscores and changes the color even though I want the underscore and color change for hyperlinks in my website but not in my menur buttons,
            (b) on top of colored shapes, and
            (c) with click capability on either the text or the surrounding menu button/shape area.

Thank you and I will in meantime give your look another try, but I can't really see how to get around the hyperlink style appearance obstacle, unless (which might be very likely) that I am overlooking something.

gordon787

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Sorry it's not doing it for you, a couple of notes:
              1) You could have a menu without buttons.
              2) You can style links with or without underscore or on-hover color change.
              3) You can apply as many link styles as you wish within a page or the whole site.

Another thought, Google "menu buttons" or the like and you will find a lot of different styles that may behave more as you would like, some are very easy to understand and install, and you can always get help from someone here!

Comment

Originally posted by gordon787 View Post
                Mwalsh62,

Now as I have just tried your great advice, I remember why I had earlier abandoned attempt to create my menu buttons this way. My problem is that when I hyperlink the menu buttons text, I get the change of color combined with underscoring--which is precisely what I want in my hyperlinked items within the text of my website but not in my menu buttons. And, if I try to change the hyperlink style then it changes the hyperlink style for all uses within the website. So, I guess at the moment I am still back looking for a solution for my:

(a) two-line menu titles without the look of hyperlink style that underscores and changes the color even though I want the underscore and color change for hyperlinks in my website but not in my menur buttons,
                (b) on top of colored shapes, and
                (c) with click capability on either the text or the surrounding menu button/shape area.

Thank you and I will in meantime give your look another try, but I can't really see how to get around the hyperlink style appearance obstacle, unless (which might be very likely) that I am overlooking something.

gordon787
                Gordon
                When you use the textlinks you have the option of selecting the style of the link itself - that is, underlined or not, what color, bold, italicized..and you can select these options for the link, visited links, active link and hovered over links.

You can add several types of links, so that when you have many links on a page, you can choose which style for each.

It sounds like what is happening to you is that you have one style only, so when you change it, all are changed, as they are really only the one type style.

So, the answer would be to make a couple of styles, name them so they are easily identifiable, and each time make sure you select the one you like.
                Don't forget to check that you have the correct style each time, as sometimes it is easy to overlook this step.

Hope this is clear, and hope it helps
                Liz
                www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Mike (mwash62) and Liz (larazovich),

Thank you both, you are best. I appreciate greatly your suggestions.

In regard to the hyperlink styles: I am quite sure that one of my solutions as you both have included is to change the hyperlink styles. I have tried and tried and tried to do this over the past month and now again in reply to your suggestions. I must be overlooking something because I cannot get the hyperlink styles tool to change and add styles. Specifically, I
                  (1) highlight website text, (2) click on the hyperlink insert icon, (3) I then get a screen that includes "appearance--style" box with "add," "edit," "remove" buttons. As I stumble around what seems like should be a simple straightforward screen, I eventually arrive at an "added" style and it even looks like I want it to look on the button of that screen "google preview" box. However, when I go to my website text that I am working on, the hyperlinked text always looks the same; despite my new hyperlink style, the hyperlinked website text with my new hyperlink style looks identical to the "default" style that I always see when I go to that VodaHost icon screen that shows me the same 4 default styles: "Linked," "Visited Link," "Active Link" and "Hover Link." The little box on top of these four styles then has "style1" but when I type a new name there and add it, I still only see the same 4 default styles.

Do you have some specific step-by-step actions I can take to achieve the above and/or is there a related BlueVoda tutorial?

Thank you again.

gordon787

Comment

1. highlight website text,
                    2. click on the hyperlink insert icon,
                    3. Get a screen that includes "appearance--style" box with "add," "edit," "remove" buttons.
                    4. Click add
                    5. name this style whatever you want - roger is a nice name, for instance LOL
                    6. Click on 'linked'
                    7. choose a color for your text
                    8. leave the background alone, so it is transparent
                    9. Tick appropriate boxes below - bold, underline, italics
                    10. click 'ok'
                    11. Repeat steps 7 through 10 for 'visited', 'active', and 'hover'
                    12 then click okay again
                    13. highlight the style you have selected for that text
                    14, click okay
                    15. make sure your correct style is selected again
                    click okay and you are in business.

Each time make sure you have selected the one you want, as it seems to go to none all by itself sometimes..

Good Luck

Liz
                    www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Hi Gorden,

Do what Larazovich has explained, but here is a tip. Create your hyperlink styles with Format >> Hyperlink Style Sheet.

Theb when creating your hyperlinks, just select them from the prepopulated list.
                      Bless you
                      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom vR View Post
                        Hi Gorden,

Do what Larazovich has explained, but here is a tip. Create your hyperlink styles with Format >> Hyperlink Style Sheet.

Theb when creating your hyperlinks, just select them from the prepopulated list.
                        Excellent tip, Tom.I did not know about that!
                        Thanks
                        Liz
                        www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Thank you, thank you immensely Liz (larazovich) and Tom vR for your earlier suggestions and expert advice/directions. And, I really thank Liz for having taken the time to give me precise exact steps, precisely as I pleaded.

Now, after a zillion tries, I am near to my goal, very near, but yet quite far. Would you please look at my home page (index page) at www.gordonpatzer.com, specifically the menu buttons and text. I have tried a zillion things and I am close, very close. The latest that I have done is, as you have recommended, changed/added a hyperlink style for the text/text box that I place on top of the shape box and then I hperlink both (text box and shape box) to the respective website page. I started down path with great problems when I needed to lines for the textbox titles. Each approach I use then of course seems to have a downside item in addition to the upside items. So, if at all possible, given what I now have on my home page/index page, how can I have the text box BACKGROUND transparent so it blends nicely or maybe on top of the shape box blue gradient color that I am using.

All I want to do now is to have the website menu buttons have the appearance of black text on/in a blue gradient color shape box and with the capability that the user can click on either the text or the surround textbox, which they now can do. But my major problem that remains seems to be that when I create text in the text box, it forces me to select an actual background color rather than a transparent option for the text box and if I don't use the shape box then I cannot get the nice rounded rectangles as I now have.

Thank you.

gordon787

Comment

Gordon
                            I am not understanding where you are being compelled to make a background choice.
                            When you enter your text you just choose the text color.]
                            When you make a style for a textlink, leave the background color alone, and you will be fine.

Am I missing something?

Also, on your twoline 'buttons' - if you highlight them both together and then click the hyper link icon, then you set the style you want and then the url to link to, both will highlight at the same time when you hover over either, even if they are on the different lines. As it is now it looks like you have hyper linked each line separately. That is okay, but could be confusing.
                            Liz
                            www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Liz,

The first item, in your much appreciated reply that you sent below: When I insert a text box and then move it to the shape box, there is no problem with a non-transparent background, precisely as you state in your message. However, I run into my non-transparent backgroun when I now need to make that text a hyperlink:

(1) I highlight the just created tex within the text box.
                              (2) I go to the "Insert Hyperlink" icon and within the "Appearance" box at the bottom of the Insert Hyperlink screen I click on Edit Styles.
                              (3) I click on my newly created style name (roger or whatever name I give my new style) and then I click on edit. (Or, each time I create the new style anew I click on add, it doesn't matter becuase I get the same when I then click on the first of the four items under "Click on the link to change formatting: Linked"
                              (4) Once I click on "linked" to make the changes, a small "Format Style" screen comes up with two boxes: "Color" and "Background," under which are the three checkboxes: Bold, Underline, and Italic. It I don't touch the "Background" color setting, it then prints the apparent default color of grey and when I look at the Background color choices, there is no transparent option.

Please let me know if you were able to follow my above described steps and if you get the same #4 step above.

Your second item below: The two line arrangement that you note is what I had to do when I used the earlier recommended, "Insert," "Extra," "Menu Bar," which would not permit two lines of text so I had to create, under that approach, two seperate menu bar items and then hyperlink each of them. I agree with you, it is terribly confusing and thus I sought more opinion, which is then what began you and my communication a few hours ago. If you look closely, only my current home page/index page (www.gordonpatzer.com) has my newest approach which you recommended and which I like (with the insert textbox, change hyperlink style, and place all on top a shape box). Beyond my current home page/index page that uses the insert textbox approach to hypoerlinked menu items, I still have the former approach I was using with the "Insert," "Extra," "Menu Bar," approach.

Thank you.

gordon787

Comment

Working...
                              X